Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calls silenced when I don't want them to be - iOS 14

I've tried many times to STOP my phone from "silencing" phone calls — I don't want this! How to I stop my phone from silencing calls? I've missed a number of calls from people not in my contacts list, but I still need to talk with them. Any help is appreciated.

(P.S. to Apple: this is why I HATE "upgrading" to a new OS (MacOS or iOS). No matter what, it seems there's always hassles . . . it's like someone coming in to rearrange my office furniture with helpful new "features" (and bugs) that end up taking more time than it's worth. Sigh!

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 11:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 11:42 AM

Just figured it out after a second web search:

"Starting in iOS 13, Apple included a feature called Silence Unknown Callers, which does exactly what it sounds like it would do — it keeps calls from ringing through from unknown numbers. To turn it on, go to your iPhone’s settings, then scroll down to Phone and then scroll to the bottom of the Phone settings. You’ll see it there."

Unfortunately, Apple turned this on when I upgraded to iOS 14 (I'm 99% sure I would not have set this — given the nature of my business, I *can't* ignore calls from unknown callers).

Only 25 minutes of productivity lost. Not as bad as other upgrade hassles. My hope still stands: Apple, please stop "upgrading" in ways that cause more problems!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2021 11:42 AM in response to dceflyer

Just figured it out after a second web search:

"Starting in iOS 13, Apple included a feature called Silence Unknown Callers, which does exactly what it sounds like it would do — it keeps calls from ringing through from unknown numbers. To turn it on, go to your iPhone’s settings, then scroll down to Phone and then scroll to the bottom of the Phone settings. You’ll see it there."

Unfortunately, Apple turned this on when I upgraded to iOS 14 (I'm 99% sure I would not have set this — given the nature of my business, I *can't* ignore calls from unknown callers).

Only 25 minutes of productivity lost. Not as bad as other upgrade hassles. My hope still stands: Apple, please stop "upgrading" in ways that cause more problems!

Calls silenced when I don't want them to be - iOS 14

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.