Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad air 4 2020: significant standby battery drain

I bought a brand new ipad air 4 a month ago, didnt really use it much since we're still stuck at home but i noticed the standby battery drain is pretty bad, 3-4% every day. Now, this may not seems much but my 7-y-old ipad air 1, which has a smaller, and at his point degraded, battery, drains 1-2% every couple days, it can stay in standby for months without dying.

Do batteries need some cycles to "settle-in" or is the new ipad air, or maybe ipad os 14, so bad in this regard?

iPad Air Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2021 10:54 AM

Standby battery utilisation will be heavily influenced by the iPad settings - in particular that relating to background system tasks, such as email retrieval, notifications, backup, WiFi and Bluetooth etc.

3-4% battery utilisation per day, for an iPad that is otherwise idle, is not unusual. Speaking solely of personal experience, 10% per day might be considered entirely normal.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2021 10:54 AM in response to Alex__95

Standby battery utilisation will be heavily influenced by the iPad settings - in particular that relating to background system tasks, such as email retrieval, notifications, backup, WiFi and Bluetooth etc.

3-4% battery utilisation per day, for an iPad that is otherwise idle, is not unusual. Speaking solely of personal experience, 10% per day might be considered entirely normal.

Jan 19, 2021 4:51 PM in response to Alex__95

Try the new hard reset procedure for the 2018/2020 iPad Pro/iPad Air 4 models without a Home button.

1. Press and release the volume UP button.

2. Then immediately press and release the volume DOWN button.

3. Then, press and hold the Power button at the top. You will see the Slide to Power off button, but keep on holding down the Power button until you see the Apple logo, then let it go.

Once you have performed all the steps, wait for a few seconds and your iPad Pro will boot up completely to the iPad Pro’s Lock screen.

Good Luck!

Jan 24, 2021 2:07 PM in response to Alex__95

I am having the same issue. I’ve turned off all the background, privacy and notifications on iPad Air 4. It drains 1% per hour on any setting in standby. It also drains in flight mode. It also drains points when powered off which is bizarre. Previous iPads did not too this. Apple have lost their sheen for me. This is also my second unit and the first had screen bleed very badly.

Ipad air 4 2020: significant standby battery drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.