Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Choppy scroll on M1 Chip Macbook Air

So i got this m1 mba 3 days ago.But i feel like its not that smooth while scrolling up and down on the pages. i mean at least not as smooth as my desktop pc.I feel like its a little bit laggy and choppy.Any ideas?

(I even tried to reinstall the MacOS)

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 1:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 4:56 PM

I am so disappointed with my M1 AirBook Pro because of this that I am seriously contemplating returning it. Scrolling is choppy everywhere. Word documents, Safari... I am gonna give a call to Apple support and see what they say. This is unacceptable.

60 replies

Mar 23, 2021 1:36 PM in response to kk_uu_

I bought a M1 MacBook Pro 2 weeks ago with 16 GB unified memory, it is running macOS 11.2.3 and Safari 14.0.3.

And webpage scrolling was choppy from Day 1. It happens on Apple's own websites. Or even on websites that do not have any ads.

Scrolling over text would be fine until the images in the page appear.

This issue exists in Chrome also but to a lesser extent.

The UI stuttering and sluggishness happens outside Safari too, like the Notification Center.

When connected to an external display, the stuttering would happen when moving windows.

I also reported a dozen other issues using the Feedback web page. https://www.apple.com/feedback/

After speaking to Support, I completely erased the drive and reinstalled macOS.

The issue exists even on a fresh install without any 3rd party extensions and apps.

Mar 23, 2021 4:56 PM in response to jonasfromlarvik

The issue is noticeable even in Apple Music sometimes, when scrolling past songs and reaching other albums.

The transition between text and images seems to trigger the issue in Safari, Music etc..

Changing Accessibility > Pointer Control settings do not improve the issue.

I just now reported again in the Feedback webpage.

I urge everyone to report performance issues and other bugs, this is the only way to have issues addressed.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookair.html

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html

Can't imagine how these basic issues exist on Apple Silicon considering DTKs and Big Sur were available since July 2020 and it was another 4 months till the M1 products released.

Jul 28, 2021 2:41 AM in response to atako48

Hi guys, if you are using a non-Apple mouse just like me.

I suggest you install one of the apps below.

Both of them are 100% free (at least when this post is written).

I hope all mouses will be supported for the smooth scrolling by apple soon in the future without having to install a third-party app.

Jan 30, 2021 10:39 AM in response to atako48

I've got my MBA 2 weeks ago. At first I didn't notice, as it felt perfectly smooth, especially after using windows 10 for years. But now I kinda notice at the beginning of each scroll the page kinda stutters a bit, like its loosing frames. I notice it the most in safari, especially when setting default page zoom like 125%. In chrome it is significantly less noticeable. In Pages or large pdf files I cannot tell if I see the lag. Maybe they need to release a new graphic driver version or something.

Feb 13, 2021 5:37 PM in response to Goran_liburnis

i would say dont return it because they are extremely powerful machines as it exported a 30gb 4k video file in 5 min . I know what you are talking about and i am also facing the same thing but i am sure that in a few updates its going to be fine , i mean its apple. right? lets all fill in the feedback ,i dont think it is a hardware issue at all , the problem is with the new big sur and optimising it , will be done very soon.

Mar 24, 2021 7:24 AM in response to jonasfromlarvik

This is extremely disappointing.

Apple prides itself over customer satisfaction and the basic action, everybody performs, on a daily basis is scrolling webpages, documents, etc.

The M1 devices might have great compute performance but it is a small fraction that is editing 4K videos and rendering 3D models.

Even developers spend a lot of time scrolling through code and forums.

----

@jonasfromlarvik

How did you manage to get an engineer on the phone?

Apr 23, 2021 9:32 PM in response to atako48

I'm having the same issue on my MacBook Air M1 (8/256). Safari jitters while scrolling, less apparent on Chrome, but it's still there. Resizing Chrome lags crazy as well. Called up Apple Support and after hours of troubleshooting, they offered a replacement, but I'm shocked and disappointed to find that the replacement unit has the same issue as well. This is so underwhelming considering that this was supposed to be my first Apple computer.

Surprisingly, not everybody is facing this. A friend of mine has the same configuration MacBook Air M1 and he says he hasn't faced any such thing. I'm not sure how to go ahead with this anymore. So very frustrating.

Apr 26, 2021 11:27 AM in response to unwrapimpulse

I too was new to Macs and found it disappointing to have this issue on a M1 device, that is supposed to have tight hardware and software integration.

I went to an Apple Store and got a replacement but that too had the same issue.

While I was at the store, I checked this on two Intel MacBook Pros, 13-inch (4 thunderbolt ports) and 16 inch.

They both had the same scrolling issue when browsing Apple's own product webpages.

This is purely a macOS Big Sur (11.2.x) issue. I think it was less noticeable on 11.1 which came installed.

Choppy scroll on M1 Chip Macbook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.