Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unwanted push notification - security?

Hi, I've recently started getting a push notification on my MacBook Pro 2014. It looks as if it is from a genuine scientific company which would relate to my work but if I click on it, I get an empty webpage with a fake sign in type box. Has something been compromised? If so what could it be? MacBook is my only Apple product, I don't have an iPhone or iPAD.

Thanks for any advice on getting rid of it!

seq12

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 20, 2021 1:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 7:20 PM

Hi seq12,

We understand you're running into some problems with an alert appearing on your MacBook Pro, and we want to help. From what you're describing, it sounds like it could be a phishing attempt or a pop-up. When you have a chance, let's try working through the steps in the article below to see if it goes away.

About pop-up ads and windows in Safari

Please let us know what you find, and we'll take it from there.

Best regards!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2021 7:20 PM in response to seq12

Hi seq12,

We understand you're running into some problems with an alert appearing on your MacBook Pro, and we want to help. From what you're describing, it sounds like it could be a phishing attempt or a pop-up. When you have a chance, let's try working through the steps in the article below to see if it goes away.

About pop-up ads and windows in Safari

Please let us know what you find, and we'll take it from there.

Best regards!

Jan 26, 2021 12:15 PM in response to sterling r

Hi there sterling r, sorry for the delayed reply, due to work and home schooling!

I was experiencing multiple pop-ups from "GEN", approx two or three every hour with random letters underneath like 'asdf' and 'qwertyuiop'. When clicked it led to an empty grey page just with a login box.

Luckily I had to restart because I filled up the memory and all the available swap(!), and that mostly solved the problem. "GEN" could have been causing problems with the memory, but I was using a lot of it anyway.

Now thanks to your article I see that OSX has a malware remover on start-up which probably explains why it was sorted. Since then I had one pop-up only from "GEN", yesterday. Using your article I just went to Safari preferences and saw that "GEN" had a setting of allow on pop-ups and have now of course changed that to deny. Hopefully I can dig around and find out why "GEN" is in the notification centre at all.

Thanks very much!!

Lisa

Unwanted push notification - security?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.