Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto Alternative

Now that iPhoto has been 100% phased out, I am wondering if anyone has found a non-cloud based option that is equal or better. I really like how iPhoto used "events" and I have tried to adopt 'Photos' but I don't like it at all.

Thank you in advance!!!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 20, 2021 7:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2021 11:55 PM

You don't need the cloud to use Photos for Mac. The "Events" have been replaced by the Days in Photos. is it the only thing you are missing in Photos, or are there other iPhoto features that you need a replacement for?

4 replies

Jan 20, 2021 11:46 PM in response to illusiontwo03

There is no other photo manager that uses the concept of Events, so no matter where you go, you're going to be changing. That said, all of them do offer a albums which can be configured to perform as Events.

As to what to go for: What kind of shooter are you? Shooting Raw or Jpeg? DSLR? Point and Shoot? Phone? Volume? How many photos do you have ow? how many do you add every year? What's your budget?

The nearest to iPhoto is Photos.

Jan 23, 2021 9:13 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you for your response. I am okay with not having "events" but like the idea of albums. I organize my events / albums by annual events (vacation, holidays, birthdays etc...) and then have an album for each year with random photos. I shoot using a DSLR and have over 17k photos over a 20 year period. In addition to the events/album functionality, I do like the face recognition and ability to added meta data to the pictures.

I am willing to pay for software that will make it easier for m to store the photos in a similar format as iPhoto, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with a cloud based solution. I gave 'Photos' a chance, but I find it's not user friendly. That could be the Gen X/Y in me :-)

Thanks in advance for any recommendations

Jan 23, 2021 9:22 AM in response to illusiontwo03

From your description I actually think that Photos is the best app for you. If you've only 17k images over 20 years, I'm not sure I see the value in paying in the region of $100 per year or so to manage them.

In Photos, simply make a folder for each year, and inside that folder, create albums for the various events.

That said, if you're looking for an alternative with no Cloud or cross device sharing, check out OnOne Photo Raw, or maybe Exposure 6.

iPhoto Alternative

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.