Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 Pro / Apple logo "flashes" at start-up....is this normal?

Whenever I re-start my iPhone 12 Pro, the white Apple logo will appear VERY briefly (less than a second) then the screen goes completely dark for 3-4 seconds. Then the Apple logo reappears and the phone re-starts normally. Is this a new normal process, or is there possibly a hardware or software problem with my phone? I've never experienced this before having been an iPhone owner for 10+ years.

I am following the instructions from the Apple Support website: “To turn your device back on, press and hold the side button (on the right side of your iPhone) until you see the Apple logo.”

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 8:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 10:58 AM

Just got off the phone with Apple and the case and diagnostic logs have been received by the senior engineers. I made them aware that this is a worldwide issue and have given them the links to the assorted threads regarding this issue here on Apple communities as well as on Mac Rumors. I have a callback from them scheduled for Friday. They need a few days to research the issues myself and others have noted here. I will report back with an update once I speak to them on Friday and see what they have come up with to that point. Once an issue goes from senior support up to the senior engineers it can take awhile as they do dig deeply, often requiring different logs than what were initially sent so now it’s just a wait and see situation. Have a great day y’all!

106 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2021 10:58 AM in response to curveball99

Just got off the phone with Apple and the case and diagnostic logs have been received by the senior engineers. I made them aware that this is a worldwide issue and have given them the links to the assorted threads regarding this issue here on Apple communities as well as on Mac Rumors. I have a callback from them scheduled for Friday. They need a few days to research the issues myself and others have noted here. I will report back with an update once I speak to them on Friday and see what they have come up with to that point. Once an issue goes from senior support up to the senior engineers it can take awhile as they do dig deeply, often requiring different logs than what were initially sent so now it’s just a wait and see situation. Have a great day y’all!

Feb 24, 2021 11:26 AM in response to Greeneyeddi01

So...now my phone has been acting a little odd the last couple of days; 1) the text on a podcast description was scrambled/overlapping on my display, unreadable 2) dictation while texting is becoming intermittent and 3) intermittently, when I plug in my lightning cord to sync with Apple Music on my MacBook Air, the Air did not recognize the phone or any device at all. Had to try a different port. I will post again if unusual activity increases or persists.

Mar 21, 2021 7:49 AM in response to Efya12

It is clear that your phone has a problem. However, that problem has nothing to do with the fact that the Apple logo appears twice when you are starting your phone.

Your first step should be to restart your phone→Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

If that doesn’t fix it there are other troubleshooting steps to try, but that is the critical first one.

Apr 22, 2021 6:44 AM in response to austine257

austine257 wrote:

Wifi Network is very slow on my iphone 12 pro max... Please what is the solution...???

The solution:

1. Scroll this page to the top
  2. Click on Post
  3. Create a BRAND NEW post describing your problem, with a meaningful subject so other users who may have a solution can see it, rather than threadjacking these posts about a completely different issue.

Jan 21, 2021 6:38 PM in response to faithcar

I've spent MANY hours on the phone with senior advisors and engineers from Apple trying to determine if my phone or the software is causing this consistent problem. Once my iPhone 12 starts up, everything seems to be working fine (so far). I also went to my local AT&T store and restarted two iPhone 12s on display. BOTH started up without any flashing of the Apple logo. This made me a bit concerned about the long-term health of my phone. SO......I spent another 2.5 hours on the phone with both AT&T and Apple. Apple engineers had me run "analytics and improvements" under the "privacy" tab in "settings", only to inform me that there "should be no cause for concern".

Jan 21, 2021 7:33 PM in response to curveball99

Thank you for taking the time to discuss with the engineers. I know it's difficult because the phones do pass the diagnostic tests. When you look at Analystics and Improvements though, I found that there's something odd on the affected phones, you'll see a report right after you restore or update a phone (i.e. it'll be the only two items in those analytic logs when you unplug the phone after the update). I can't decipher them, and I don't have the affected devices anymore, so decided to wait it out until there is some kind of official reply from Apple.

Feb 16, 2021 3:59 PM in response to BluT

Same problem. 3 new phones all with the same problem. I expect to hear back from them on Monday, The information has been sent to a senior engineer. Was on the phone with them today for an hour and a half. They did analytics and remote work. Had spoken to someone last nite for an hour and a week ago also for an hour. Originally they wanted to bring phone into the store, but I said I want to see if they get a fix out for it now that they are aware of it. Will keep u informed.

Feb 22, 2021 9:57 PM in response to curveball99

Hi curveball — I’ve returned 3 phones and am in my 4th with the flash. The last phone before this one did show some decreased responsiveness of the touch screen, apps freezing, and difficulty in restarting that all started after the logo flash on restart began. Phone ran normally out of the box snd after a restore from backup without any logo flash for about 12 days then the flash began and all the other issues started.

Have you noticed any degredation or change of anything on your phone or has it remained as just the apple flash issue with no other associated issues? I’m talking to a senior engineer tomorrow and am hoping to provide them with as much info as possible so I can find out if I have one or more issues happening. Thanks!

Feb 26, 2021 9:31 AM in response to Vikas_Navalgunde

Bro it is not iPhone issue. It appears the issues I faced is quite similar to the one reported here. I set up the phone as new and there was no data transfer done for the apps. I was using the iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max and replaced it multiple times. Both models were having issues.

Later I identified issue was due to a banking app which you least expect. You wont expect this to happen on a banking app. Once I uninstalled the App everything perfect. So in your case it might be one rogue app that is causing issues in the entire ecosystem

This is what I faced when the issue surfaces

1. Cannot download Apps from App Stores

2. Cannot send/receive new emails in the default IOS Mail App

3. Photos/videos cannot upload to iCloud but no issues with OneDrive

4. Settings get time to load occasionally

5. Navigate to Settings and choose any installed apps to view my specific app settings, the screen just freezes

6. While doing call with Apple Support at the time of issue, they won't be able to do a screen mirroring even though I allowed it when the option pops up in my phone

7. Based on my experiences it would start with any one App and affect some other apps. It could start with any random app either an inhouse IOS App or third party banking or social apps. Usually, it affects almost all the default IOS Apps and I won't be able to even connect to Software update Server for checks. The latest issue started when I made an attempt to download an App from App Store as mentioned in the point 1.The download failed from App store and after that issue started spreading to multiple apps. For example if I Went to the Gmail App and tried to Add another mail account. It hangs and don't allow me to add new email account. While facing this issue when I try to launch some Apps for example Facebook Citibank etc. (it could be any random app) it just freezes, and all the issues reported from point 1-6 starts popping up. At the same time some Apps work perfectly fine. I can watch videos in YouTube and all.

8. Once I reboot the phones all these issues get resolved and it would work fine for some days before the same happens again. This routine cycle has been going ever since I upgraded to the new series of iPhones. I don’t think it is Apple Hardware issue as I have replaced the phones thrice and all have similar issues.

Feb 26, 2021 9:44 AM in response to Vikas_Navalgunde

Thanks for the update Vikas. I have a call set up with the senior engineers today so I’ll make sure to let them know about the assorted apps freezing and the resulting unresponsiveness, I’ve faced that too and it’s incredibly annoying. I will try to keep updating things here as I get info from the engineers on the “logo flash” issue so if you follow this thread you will know if/when things get resolved.

Feb 26, 2021 9:54 AM in response to jacobpk87

I’m not sure if your issues were related to the apple logo flash at startup or not. It sounds more like you may have had some corruption from the failed download. If that were the case it would make sense that removing the app that failed to download properly would solve the issues. Did/do you have the apple logo flash at startup/restart then go to a black screen instead of it being a steady apple logo like it normally is? If you have had the logo flash quickly at startup before going to a black screen , do you still have it now?

iPhone 12 Pro / Apple logo "flashes" at start-up....is this normal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.