Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie and Sony DCR-TRV240

I need to xfer tapes from my Sony DCR-TRV240 to a 2019 iMac (Big Sur) and iMovie compatibility list does NOT include the TRV240. What are my options?

Thanks

iMac 27″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 10:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 11:02 AM

Plug your camcorder in to your 2019 Mac with Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter. It should work. Here are Sony's instructions:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/camcorders-tape-camcorders/dcr-trv240/articles/00029443

-- Rich

5 replies

Jan 21, 2021 11:57 AM in response to Rich839

Thanks for the response. Two thunderbolt adapters required and I had to order the second.

The Sony site provides a link to iMovie compatible devices and my Sony camcorder is not listed as stated above.

I will be able to test on the 26 January when my second thunderbolt adapter arrives.

Jan 21, 2021 12:14 PM in response to on0

On Apple's camera support website it states that: "iMovie works with most mini DV tape-based camcorders using DV and HDV formats. Use FireWire port for tape-based devices." The DCR does not need to be specifically listed.

However, there is no guarantee that your camera will work. Importing from tape based cameras into iMovie 10 is somewhat hit or miss. Importing into iMovie 9 was much more reliable. Nothing to do but try and see what happens.

If iMovie doesn't accept the import you can try importing into the Photos app or onto your Mac desktop with the Image Capture app on your Mac. Or you can import into the QuickTimePlayer app on your Mac.

The main thing is to get your Mac to recognize the camcorder. Sometimes faulty cables or adapters can cause non-recognition issues. Safest to use the Apple adapters, even though they are more expensive.

Does your 2019 Mac have a Thunderbolt 2 slot or a USB-c (Thunderbolt 3) slot? If USB-c you might need an extra adapter so you can string from firewire to thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 to your Mac.

-- Rich

iMovie and Sony DCR-TRV240

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.