Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import Mini Tapes

Can I import mini tapes made on a Sony DCR - PC9E PAL Camcorder to iMovie version10.3.1 to a MacOS

Big Sur 10.6.5

Posted on Apr 1, 2022 5:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2022 9:34 AM

😊 Glad you were able to get your footage imported. Now that it is in QuickTimePlayer all you need to do is export it to your desktop (File>Export As and choose a resolution), or you can simply File>Save it to your desktop. Then you can drag the clip into an iMovie project for editing.

Here's a link that shows how to use QuickTimePlayer:

QuickTime Player User Guide for Mac – Apple Support (UK)

-- Rich

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2022 9:34 AM in response to FREYA9022jt85

😊 Glad you were able to get your footage imported. Now that it is in QuickTimePlayer all you need to do is export it to your desktop (File>Export As and choose a resolution), or you can simply File>Save it to your desktop. Then you can drag the clip into an iMovie project for editing.

Here's a link that shows how to use QuickTimePlayer:

QuickTime Player User Guide for Mac – Apple Support (UK)

-- Rich

Apr 1, 2022 9:30 AM in response to FREYA9022jt85

Most tape based camcorders can import digital mini tapes into iMovie. However, it is a bit hit or miss with iMovie 10. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. You would need to use a firewire cable from the camera. If your Mac doesn't have a firewire socket you would need to connect with the with the appropriate firesire to thunderbolt adapters to plug into to your computer's thunderbolt socket. Sometimes it requires a couple of adapters, such as Firewire to Thunderbolt 1 >Thunderbolt 2 or Thunderbolt 3 etc.

Perhaps someone who has used your specific camcorder to import mini tape will chime in here.

-- Rich

Apr 1, 2022 11:16 AM in response to FREYA9022jt85

Yes, like I mentioned, it can be hit or miss importing mini tape into iMovie 10. The good news is that at least your camcorder is recognized. So your cables connection is O.K. Often cable or adapter issues are the cause of import problems.

Try starting the camera running before hitting the import button.

Instead of importing directly into iMovie, try importing into QuickTimePlayer. You would get one continuous clip rather than scene breaks.

You could also try using the Image Capture app on your Mac to import to a folder on your desktop.

-- Rich

Apr 2, 2022 2:36 AM in response to FREYA9022jt85

Hi Rich

I have had the camera running whilst clicking the Import button in iMovie but no pics come through

Have now tried Quick Time and the clip was imported which is a huge start, thank you.

I have now got to learn how to use Q time!!

Will also have a try with Image Capture, which I do not seem to have on my Mac but I am sure that Safari will solve that for me.

Thank you very much for all the help, it is much appreciated

As an 85 year old computer numpty this is all very difficult but I will get there

Jeremy

Apr 4, 2022 6:39 AM in response to FREYA9022jt85

Hi Rich

A very frustrating day!

Easy one first — I get nothing whatsoever in Image capture. Screen says No camera connected despite the camera being fully connected with a clip playing!

In Quick Time With camera playing I can see the clips and have found a Record button. When I open Recents in QT all I get is a QT icon which opens with a menu reading "This file contains some media which is not compatible with QT player" I click continue and get noise only from Play screen!

If I click Export As all I am offered is a greyed out list of ?? video speeds

I think all the above are the results of my lack of computer skills so I have arranged for my computer boffin to come and see me tomorrow.

I think it will be better for us both if I drive him round the bend rather than you — he will get paid for it!!

Thank you once again for all your assistance, much appreciated

I will let you know the outcome of tomorrows visit

Best wishes

Jeremy

Apr 7, 2022 2:26 AM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich

I am sorry to have to say that I am no nearer a solution to the problem

The boffin could not persuade my computer to import the tapes and came to the conclusion that difference in time between

the creation of the tapes and the software on the computer made them incompatible.

Despite this I will now be able to proceed with my original quest which is to look at the old tapes, discard the rubbish and have the remainder transferred to SD cards which I can edit, as I can use QuickTime to run through them.

Again thank you for your patience with my problems

Jeremy

Apr 11, 2022 2:06 AM in response to FREYA9022jt85

Hi

Thank you for your reply and the video link

I am using Big Sur 11.6.5 so according to the video it should work correctly

The camcorder is connected to the Mac by an 800 firewire and an Apple Thunderbird adaptor, which think is correct,

so there is another gremlin at work, which my computer boffin could not solve

Any ideas welcome

Jeremy

Import Mini Tapes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.