Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 MacBook Air - freezing cursor and stuck track pad

Is anyone else having this issue?

Writing this for anyone else experiencing the same problem.

M1 MacBook Air cursor randomly freezing.

During the freeze the trackpad often feels like it is being permanently clicked/pressed.

Sometimes the mouse moves a tiny bit with large gestures and sometimes not.

I have seen the cursor move on its own as well.

Sometimes when clicked, the cursor will randomly jump across the screen.

Sometimes it comes back to life on it's own, but sometimes it's the same after a hard restart.

Done a factory reset and the issue remains.

Also happens in safe mode.

Suspect it's a hardware fault. Returning to Apple for replacement.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 12:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2021 11:30 AM

Hey there Daniel_87,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having some issues with your trackpad becoming unresponsive. We're happy to provide some assistance.

The steps outlined in this article may help:

If your pointer is jumpy when you use a trackpad, Magic Trackpad, or Magic Mouse

Let us know if the issue persists after working through those steps and booting in safe mode (step 5).

Have a great day!

Similar questions

72 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2021 11:30 AM in response to Daniel_87

Hey there Daniel_87,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having some issues with your trackpad becoming unresponsive. We're happy to provide some assistance.

The steps outlined in this article may help:

If your pointer is jumpy when you use a trackpad, Magic Trackpad, or Magic Mouse

Let us know if the issue persists after working through those steps and booting in safe mode (step 5).

Have a great day!

Jan 28, 2021 10:45 AM in response to Daniel_87

I am having the same issue.

I've had my M1 MacBook Air for less than a week, and at seemingly random times, the trackpad will freeze. The battery is not low, and no applications other than Chrome are open. This has now happened 4 times, and 3 out of the 4 times was after using the laptop for more than 6 hours. Everything you said lines up with my experiences. Connecting a second mouse works, but that does not correct the trackpad.

I am confident this is a software issue as others who have replaced their laptops continued to have problems. Besides that, I look forward to seeing if a replacement does fix your problem.

Feb 5, 2021 6:45 AM in response to ariamudi

hi . I ran into this problem as well. I am running the newest update bigsur 11.2 and still a same problem with mouse cursor stuck !! is this ever going to get fix !! I'm a first time mac user and this is very frustrated. I called on already and all they said was to reboot. yes after reboot it will goes away but then it will come back . please apple I need help or I will switch back to PC

Mar 16, 2021 9:30 PM in response to ariamudi

Update. After now.

1. phone and software iodate
  2. chst try to trouble shoot suggest go to genius bar
  3. gonto Genius Bar to be told “looks fine” then I wait 2@ minutes to show them it happening.
  4. so they call me today and we reinstall the OS

eureaka it works.

for about an hour.

now same problem and unusable.

this is a 30 day old computer mind you.

Apple, read this thread. What’s going on with your prized new computer?

Jan 29, 2021 1:21 AM in response to zzswhen

I would recommend you raise the issue with Apple support and get a reference number if you haven't done so already. Initially they refused me a replacement and wanted to repair it because it was more than 30 days old. Lucky I flagged the issue the second time I noticed it (on day 30) so they agreed on a replacement. It won't be delivered for a couple of weeks yet (over a month in total).

After doing the factory reset I did not install any other apps, but it still occurred.

It may not be related, but it took Apple multiple attempts to get the MacBook to factory reset without failing.

Hoping the next one is ok.

Mar 4, 2021 8:23 AM in response to Musiqfreak9

Sorry to hear you're having the same issue. It was a very long and painful process to get it replaced.

I am happy to confirm the new one seems ok. I used it for a week or so without installing anything and now I have tested it with some non-M1 apps and it remains ok.

There was a couple of occasions where I thought 'did it just pause for a moment?', but i'm fairly sure that was probably just me trying to swipe with two fingers or something.

Mar 8, 2021 1:11 AM in response to jenn_sv

I also was told to do the SMC reset which made no difference. The factory reset also took 3 attempts and three more phone calls. After all this they tried to get it sent away for repair even though it was less than 30 days old.

Stand your ground and get it swapped. I had to wait nearly a month, again.

Appalling customer service.

Mar 16, 2021 7:52 AM in response to Daniel_87

I couldn't be more dissatisfied.

I bought a new m1 air 30 days ago and in the middle of brand new project and using it extensively.

This KNOWN issue has made it unsuable.

Others having same problem.

Same exeperience many have described.

I had a call and we updated OS.

I had a chat, with the suggestion I go in.

I went in. Got a diagnostic and told "it was fine".

But stuck around for 20 minutes until the problem emerged.

Then told to leave my computer for 2 days or take home and reinstall OS.

Which I'll do tonight

At which point, I'll have to fight to get new hardware?

Couldn't come in a worse time for project I'm on.

The computer is pretty much unusable after 10 minutes.

Just an awful experience.

Apple really not treating their people well on this one. Anyone else resolve this SIMPLY AND QUICKLY please do let me know.

Mar 16, 2021 10:22 AM in response to Jeffcnyc

I know that feeling.

I had the reinstall fail multiple times too. Another known issue of the M1 MacBooks.

If you reported the trackpad issue within the 30 days, you should be entitled to a replacement unit (although it will likely take multiple phone calls/ complaints), after 30 days they will make you send it away for repair or return it to a store.

It's even more frustrating having to wait for a new one to be delivered for weeks (if you customised it).

M1 MacBook Air - freezing cursor and stuck track pad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.