Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5.1 in Airplay?

I have two Apple TV, 4k and generation 2, I use Gen2 to connect it to my Home Theater through Multichannel Optical Audio, which is only in that box, in 4K there is no port for that, if I only use Gen2 if I can see content with 5.1 channels of audio, but if I want to use 4K the 2Gen audio is only in Stereo, even if the content is 5.1, I hope not to confuse. Is there a way to connect the Apple TV 4K to the Apple TV Gen2 that the 4K content can be heard in 5.1 audio channels?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 13

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 2:37 PM

5 replies

Jan 21, 2021 2:49 PM in response to CalebJB

Have you tried enabling "Change Format" in the tvOS Settings app? (Under Audio and Video/Audio Format) If that doesn't work, you're likely not seeing (or rather, hearing) 5.1 from the 4K because there is a bug with tvOS 14 which can affect users who use an optical connection. (The gen 2 does not run tvOS, which is why it is not affected by this bug.)

Not much we can do except wait for a fix from Apple. They will only do so if enough people complain about the bug, so if you still have trouble, I highly recommend filing a report here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

Jan 21, 2021 8:20 PM in response to CalebJB

If your home theater sound system has HDMI-in or HDMI-ARC, then it should be able to get multichannel sound regularly.

If your home theater sound system has no HDMI, but has optical, then it should be able to get multichannel sound, when using passthrough via the TV, as configured on the TV. You likely need to set Audio Output to Dolby Digital 5.1 on Apple TV for this.

Alternatively, if your home theater sound system has no HDMI, but has optical, then you could use a HDMI Audio Extractor to get an extra optical output.

AirPlay streaming from one Apple TV to another is meant for stereo music in multiple rooms, not for loopholes for the optical port.

5.1 in Airplay?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.