Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook no sound after opening YouTube

Hello,

I recently encountered this issue when using my MacBook Pro to watch YouTube videos. The laptop just suddenly lost all sound (system sound, music, etc) and YouTube videos could not be played. I tried to adjust volume using Touch Bar and it was able to display on the screen but still no sound. I also tried to use Activity monitor to shut down 'coreaudiod' and after it restarted all sound came back normal. However, as soon as I played YouTube videos again the issue came back.

I also noticed that this issue only appeared after I updated the computer to macOS Big Sur. I had no problem with the sound when using previous macOS.

Hope someone can give me suggestions on whether or not it is a system bug and how to fix it.

Thank you very much!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 8:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 2:32 AM

Hi,

Resetting NVRAM could solve sound related issues.

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

If it doesn't help, try to run Apple Diagnostics if it reports something audio related issue(VFF001 to VFF003)

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply

Macbook no sound after opening YouTube

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.