Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook doesn't boot

Hello everyone,

I have a 12" macbook early 2015. It doesn't boot or go into recovery mode. I think it is because of running out of free disk space entirely (I may have forgotten torrent open, so it depleted free space).

In normal boot, I can select the user and write the password. Progress bar starts fast, slows down to the end and desktop doesn't show up. At first attempt, everything started up in the background such as chrome pages (since the screen didn't show, I figured it out from the YouTube page sounds) and even wifi hotspot. After several attempts, I realized that cmd+r doesn't load, cmd+option+r ended up with 5101F error.

In single user mode, I tried to reach a large video file to delete, even though it was -rw--r---r--, I couldn't delete a file because it is claimed to be read-only.

I didn't set up a time machine nor I want to lose my data. Please help, thanks in advance.

MacBook, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 11:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 1:43 PM

There is an Apple Document on how to use Target Disk Mode. Read it carefully and understand what is required. If one is able to get it working, one should be able to transfer enough files from the problem machine to the other computer. If so, the problem computer may have just enough space to boot up. Then, suggest doing another cleaning of the drive of all um=needed applications, Music, Videos etc . It is usually suggested to keep 10 - 15 GB empty Space on the internal drive at all times. This is need for the OS to function properly.

Good Luck

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2021 1:43 PM in response to fyrath

There is an Apple Document on how to use Target Disk Mode. Read it carefully and understand what is required. If one is able to get it working, one should be able to transfer enough files from the problem machine to the other computer. If so, the problem computer may have just enough space to boot up. Then, suggest doing another cleaning of the drive of all um=needed applications, Music, Videos etc . It is usually suggested to keep 10 - 15 GB empty Space on the internal drive at all times. This is need for the OS to function properly.

Good Luck

MacBook doesn't boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.