Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sold Macbook on ebay now new owner asking for HD-Data password

I recently sold my 2019 Macbook Pro on Ebay. I did a factory reset and shipped it off. Now the new owner is saying they can't transfer any files because the disk, "Macintosh HD-Data" is locked. I gave them the password I used for that computer and hopefully it will work out for them but I thought doing a factory reset would keep that from happening. Did I maybe miss a step?

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 11:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 7:28 PM

Did you perform a clean install of macOS by first erasing the whole physical drive? After installing macOS and you are greeted by Setup Assistant, then you need to Shutdown the Mac (you may need to first select the language before you may be able to access the Apple menu to initiate shutdown). This will leave the Mac ready for a new user to setup as their own.

Personally, even if someone did this for a Mac I have purchased used I would still perform a clean install of the OS myself to ensure the drive has been erased and there is absolutely nothing on it from the previous owner. I don't trust other people to do things properly or not to include something nefarious on it.

FYI, here is an Apple article for the steps you should have taken before selling your Mac:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2021 7:28 PM in response to CJSmith241

Did you perform a clean install of macOS by first erasing the whole physical drive? After installing macOS and you are greeted by Setup Assistant, then you need to Shutdown the Mac (you may need to first select the language before you may be able to access the Apple menu to initiate shutdown). This will leave the Mac ready for a new user to setup as their own.

Personally, even if someone did this for a Mac I have purchased used I would still perform a clean install of the OS myself to ensure the drive has been erased and there is absolutely nothing on it from the previous owner. I don't trust other people to do things properly or not to include something nefarious on it.

FYI, here is an Apple article for the steps you should have taken before selling your Mac:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

Sold Macbook on ebay now new owner asking for HD-Data password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.