Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

texting from MacBook Pro to android phones

I have a MacBook Pro with Mojave 10.14.6 and my iPhone is a 6s with 14.3. I can text from my phone to android phones…but I cannot text to androids from my MacBook.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 11:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 3:21 PM

You might try toggling off and then on the "iMessage" switch at the top of the iPhone Settings for Messages.

Also, on the Macbook Pro make sure that the device is logged in to the same iCloud account, and also within Messages Preferences for the Accounts tab that the same Apple ID shows at the top, "enable this account" is checked, "you can be reached for messages at" indicates both the phone number and the Apple ID, and "start new conversations from" shows your iPhone's phone number. You might try logging out and then in to Messages on the Mac to then see if the Text Message Forwarding Option appears on the phone, it should because then you can turn it off and on for each device that it detects over the internet, e.g. your Mac in this case.

The Text Message Forwarding item in the iPhone Settings for Messages shows up just below "Show Contact Photos" and right above "Send read receipts." But it won't show up if there aren't any other devices logged in to the same Apple ID.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2021 3:21 PM in response to variedthrush

You might try toggling off and then on the "iMessage" switch at the top of the iPhone Settings for Messages.

Also, on the Macbook Pro make sure that the device is logged in to the same iCloud account, and also within Messages Preferences for the Accounts tab that the same Apple ID shows at the top, "enable this account" is checked, "you can be reached for messages at" indicates both the phone number and the Apple ID, and "start new conversations from" shows your iPhone's phone number. You might try logging out and then in to Messages on the Mac to then see if the Text Message Forwarding Option appears on the phone, it should because then you can turn it off and on for each device that it detects over the internet, e.g. your Mac in this case.

The Text Message Forwarding item in the iPhone Settings for Messages shows up just below "Show Contact Photos" and right above "Send read receipts." But it won't show up if there aren't any other devices logged in to the same Apple ID.

Jan 22, 2021 12:59 PM in response to variedthrush

Make sure under Messages => Preferences => Accounts that your Mac is set up to "start new conversations" from your cell phone number.

For this to work you will need to verify some settings on your iPhone:

• iPhone and Mac both logged in to same Apple ID
  • iPhone Setting => Messages shows iMessage as "on" (sometimes toggling this off and then on fixes some things)
  • iPhone Settings => Messages shows Send & Receive showing both phone number and email (Apple ID)
  • iPhone Settings => Messages shows Text Message Forwarding and your Mac is listed and shown as "on" there
  • iPhone Settings => Messages shows Send as SMS "on" and MMS Messaging and Group Messaging both "on"

On the Mac: Messages => Preferences shows correct Apple ID and "You can be reached for messages at" indicates both phone number and Apple ID (email), and "start new conversations from" indicates the phone number.

texting from MacBook Pro to android phones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.