Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't send text messages from my iMac to android phones

When I try to send a text message to an Android phone from my iMac, I get a "Message Failed to Send" pop up box. Messages to iPhones work fine. My iMac is listed as one of the devices for text message forwarding in my iPhone setting.

iMac 24″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 5:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2022 8:33 PM

Here is a checklist to go through. Note that the settings on the iPhone are as important as those on the iMac and ALL must show correctly, and note especially the one in bold below:

iMessage checklist

iPhone and Mac both logged in to same Apple ID. Try logging off and logging on if necessary.

iPhone Settings => Messages shows iMessage as "on" (sometimes toggling this off and then on fixes some things)

iPhone Settings => Messages shows Send & Receive showing both phone number and email (Apple ID)

iPhone Settings => Messages shows Text Message Forwarding and your Mac is listed and shown as "on" there.

iPhone Settings => Messages shows Send as SMS "on" and MMS Messaging and Group Messaging both "on"

On the Mac: Messages => Preferences shows same and correct Apple ID and "You can be reached for messages at" indicates both phone number and Apple ID (email), and "start new conversations from" indicates the phone number.

* Don't see the Text Message Forwarding setting on your iPhone? Go to Settings > Messages, turn off iMessage, turn it back on, tap Send & Receive, tap Use Your Apple ID for iMessage, then sign in with the same Apple ID used on your other devices.

Forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your Mac or iPad - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2022 8:33 PM in response to gdmedia

Here is a checklist to go through. Note that the settings on the iPhone are as important as those on the iMac and ALL must show correctly, and note especially the one in bold below:

iMessage checklist

iPhone and Mac both logged in to same Apple ID. Try logging off and logging on if necessary.

iPhone Settings => Messages shows iMessage as "on" (sometimes toggling this off and then on fixes some things)

iPhone Settings => Messages shows Send & Receive showing both phone number and email (Apple ID)

iPhone Settings => Messages shows Text Message Forwarding and your Mac is listed and shown as "on" there.

iPhone Settings => Messages shows Send as SMS "on" and MMS Messaging and Group Messaging both "on"

On the Mac: Messages => Preferences shows same and correct Apple ID and "You can be reached for messages at" indicates both phone number and Apple ID (email), and "start new conversations from" indicates the phone number.

* Don't see the Text Message Forwarding setting on your iPhone? Go to Settings > Messages, turn off iMessage, turn it back on, tap Send & Receive, tap Use Your Apple ID for iMessage, then sign in with the same Apple ID used on your other devices.

Forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your Mac or iPad - Apple Support

Can't send text messages from my iMac to android phones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.