Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2015) iMac16,2 crashes multiple times per day

What can I do to fix this problem?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 6:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 10:01 PM

You can save you and us a lot of time and effort if you do the following:

Please navigate to the Mac App Store or navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it. This report will help us get a good idea what has been installed on your system and help us be able to diagnose what may be wrong.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again. 

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2021 10:01 PM in response to David2357

You can save you and us a lot of time and effort if you do the following:

Please navigate to the Mac App Store or navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it. This report will help us get a good idea what has been installed on your system and help us be able to diagnose what may be wrong.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again. 

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

Jan 22, 2021 9:54 PM in response to Allan Jones

I usually have Firefox, Mail, Messages, Terminal, and pwSafe open. Sometimes I have PyCharm, CLion, or WebStorm open. But mostly what I use this iMac for is reading the news, watching Twitch streams, and handling e-mail. If I have an IDE open, this iMac becomes less responsive and I believe there is some disk thrashing due to the limited (8 GB) RAM.

I do not have any anti-virus or cleaning applications installed.

Version: 10.15.7 (19H114)

I have downloaded Big Sur, but I am concerned that it will just make these problems worse as most operating system upgrades usually require more RAM.

Jan 23, 2021 11:22 AM in response to David2357

You can use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the internal HD to the new SSD. I would not recommend one of the BBY solutions, the solution I offered will work and the SSD is pre-formatted to work with your iMac directly out of the box.

You can use the evaluation copy to clone and if you don't already have a backup solution using Carbon Copy Cloner as a backup solution works great and if you already use Time Machine the it's wise to have redundant backups available too!

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2015) iMac16,2 crashes multiple times per day

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.