You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

did it happened to you

after I updated the Mac OS , my finger ID stopped working and I tried deleting the previous finger and adding a new one , it didn't let me add a new finger

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 1:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 2:00 AM

As @ DiZoE mentioned but also try Reseting the SMC if that does not correct the issue, restart in Safe Mode - Shift - key immediately at startup. It will do a Repair Disk, clean cache files and only load required Apple Software needed to start the computer. It will load slowly - Normal. Once logged in run it this way for 5 - 7 minus and try to Add fingerprint back. Restart in Normal Mode

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 23, 2021 2:00 AM in response to ciomaris

As @ DiZoE mentioned but also try Reseting the SMC if that does not correct the issue, restart in Safe Mode - Shift - key immediately at startup. It will do a Repair Disk, clean cache files and only load required Apple Software needed to start the computer. It will load slowly - Normal. Once logged in run it this way for 5 - 7 minus and try to Add fingerprint back. Restart in Normal Mode

Jan 23, 2021 1:52 AM in response to ciomaris

Hey there!

This may not be the case, but I do know that when FileVault is enabled, it will require an admin password to login, as opposed to Touch ID.

Can you say if Touch ID doesn’t work at the login screen, or elsewhere, as when unlocking locking System Preferences, or making a a purchase?

Also, if it just doesn’t accept it, or gives some type of error message?

did it happened to you

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.