Touch ID not working since update macOS 13.5.1

Firstly the touch Id stopped unlocking mac. So I tried restarting, didn't work. Then I tried to remove existing fingerprints, and register new fingerprints, but couldn't add any. It gives failure when trying to register fingerprint.

Failed

Unable to complete Touch ID enrolment. Please go back and retry.

Device: Macbook M1 Pro

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 11:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 11:34 AM

So you've gone thru this Apple Support article and nothing works? Use Touch ID on Mac - Apple Support

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode and see if anything changes? Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Similar questions

7 replies

Aug 23, 2023 3:48 AM in response to anuj_singh_01

anuj_singh_01 wrote:

Firstly the touch Id stopped unlocking mac. So I tried restarting, didn't work. Then I tried to remove existing fingerprints,

When you " Then I tried to remove existing fingerprints, " it would have required the user to Manually type in their password

Is that what you did ?

Were you successful in removing ALL or Some of your registered Fingerprints ?

How may fingerprint are or were register ?

and register new fingerprints, but couldn't add any. It gives failure when trying to register fingerprint.

If you have problems with Touch ID

• If Touch ID doesn’t recognize your fingerprint: Make sure your finger is clean and dry, then try again. Moisture, lotions, cuts, or dry skin can affect fingerprint recognition.
  • If you have a Magic Keyboard with Touch ID: If you can’t unlock your Mac, enroll a fingerprint, or enter your password using Touch ID, see the Apple Support article If Touch ID isn’t working on your Mac.
  • If you still have to enter your password: For security, you need to enter your password when you start your Mac. Sometimes you need to enter your password to continue using Touch ID. For example, users must re-enter their password every 48 hours and after five incorrect fingerprint attempts.
Note: For added security, only logged-in users can access their own Touch ID information; an administrator cannot change another user’s Touch ID settings or fingerprints

Aug 23, 2023 6:30 AM in response to anuj_singh_01

Sorry to report - have 2 M1 and 1 M2 Computers all running Ventura 13.5.1 and can not duplicated this issue

Then have a few suggestions ;

1 - Get Support Choose a product and we’ll find you the best solution.Start now and open an Apple Support Ticket as they are Apple Employees to deal will these types of issues . 

2 - Product Feedback - Apple and make it known to Apple regarding this ongoing issue 

3 - Have the computer evaluated by the Professionals who have the Special Hardware Software and Expertise to diagnose the issue and offer possible solutions

4 - Make an Appointment at the Apple Genius Bar and have them evaluate the computer

Touch ID not working since update macOS 13.5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.