Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo Library on Mac

How do I delete my entire Photo Library from my Mac? It's taking up 76GB of space that I want to access.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 1:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 2:45 PM

If you open the Photos app, press CMD key and the comma key this will open the Preferences window. If you click on the General icon it will give you the path to where your library is stored on the laptop.

However, rather than delete the entire library, if you click on the iCloud icon in the Preferences window you can select 'Optimise storage' rather than Download originals. This will allow you to still view your photos on your laptop but will reduce the space used by the library.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2021 2:45 PM in response to nicolewoodard

If you open the Photos app, press CMD key and the comma key this will open the Preferences window. If you click on the General icon it will give you the path to where your library is stored on the laptop.

However, rather than delete the entire library, if you click on the iCloud icon in the Preferences window you can select 'Optimise storage' rather than Download originals. This will allow you to still view your photos on your laptop but will reduce the space used by the library.

Jan 23, 2021 2:56 PM in response to nicolewoodard

You're welcome.

I would strongly recommend that you keep a full back up of your photos somewhere. iCloud Photos should only be thought of as a syncing service not a backup service. There have been a few instances on this forum where a problem has arisen and photos have been deleted on one device which is then instantly synced across all devices and the individual has not been able to recover their photos. Even if you maintain a local backup of your iPhone data this will not include your photos if you have iCloud Photos switched on.

Photo Library on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.