Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keyboard, trackpad, mouse become unresponsibe

This MacBook Pro M1 I bought in Dec 2020 and it has worked fine. About a week ago and twice this evening the system no longer responds to pressing keys, tapping the trackpad or pushing the mouse. The mouse cursor moves around but does not respond to clicks. The only way I got it to respond was by tapping the Siri key but she could not fix the mouse, I called Apple Support that had me press the Option Command P R keys after shutting down the system and pressing the power on key. That did not appear to do much and I read that it really does nothing with a M1 system. Thoughts?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 6:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 6:42 PM

dperry112 wrote:

This MacBook Pro M1 I bought in Dec 2020 and it has worked fine. About a week ago and twice this evening the system no longer responds to pressing keys, tapping the trackpad or pushing the mouse. The mouse cursor moves around but does not respond to clicks. The only way I got it to respond was by tapping the Siri key but she could not fix the mouse, I called Apple Support that had me press the Option Command P R keys after shutting down the system and pressing the power on key. That did not appear to do much and I read that it really does nothing with a M1 system. Thoughts?

The M1 does not have T2 chip therfore no SMC or NVRAM.

Have you tried rebooting?

You can force Shut down the Mac if necessary by holding the TouchID for ~6-10 secs

Log out, sleep, wake, restart or shut down your Mac - Apple ...

Have you tried a SafeBoot? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test

If no resolve can you Boot to Diagnostic ?

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2021 6:42 PM in response to dperry112

dperry112 wrote:

The M1 does not have T2 chip therfore no SMC or NVRAM.

Have you tried rebooting?

You can force Shut down the Mac if necessary by holding the TouchID for ~6-10 secs

Log out, sleep, wake, restart or shut down your Mac - Apple ...

Have you tried a SafeBoot? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test

If no resolve can you Boot to Diagnostic ?

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Jan 23, 2021 7:56 PM in response to dperry112

dperry112 wrote:

I went through the steps you outlined, This problem is only intermittent and I have not observed it since starting the safe boot, etc. The diagnostics showed no problem. I guess I'll just keep an eye on things. I can always recover by rebooting.

This seems to be a unique case— first I heard anyway.

Apple store does have a back bench test diagnostic called AST (Apple Service Toolkit) This is more definitive than the front facing diagnostic and the user accessed Diagnostic like you ran.

It could be making an appt for a hardware issue at an available Apple store could be worth the trip.

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar

I will remind you there is a one-year warranty if your issue continues with no resolve. With AppleCare+ that warranty is extended for an additional 2 yrs if you purchased it when new.

keyboard, trackpad, mouse become unresponsibe

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.