Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Time Counting While Locked

Hi All,

I have recently set up some screen time limits on my phone, but I was finding that sometimes these are horribly inaccurate. For a few weeks I was simply just puzzled about this, but today I decided to do some more research on what was causing this. What I discovered was that the screen time application was counting a time that an app was running in the background while my phone is locked. This is particularly a nuisance if a limited app was running in the background overnight. For example, this morning I woke up having already accumulated nearly seven an a half hours on Instagram, despite my phone being locked overnight.

Upon reflection I am remembering that sometimes I will receive the "5 minutes left for (whatever app) today" notification while my iPhone is locked, which is yet another indication that time on apps is being improperly tracked.

I love the screen time feature, but if it leads to my apps being locked the entire day after accidentally leaving an app open overnight, that may be a deal breaker for me using the feature.

Does anyone have an insight on this issue or know a way to improve the screen time tracking accuracy?

iPhone XS, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 24, 2021 8:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2021 8:31 AM

Hi! Thanks for the reply. This app specifically does not run while locked as far as I know. While admittedly it would be easier to just not use the screen time feature at all, I am just looking for a way to keep my screen time in check, but the tool is not very helpful when it says that I am using an app for 7 hours that I was actually asleep and away from my phone for. Thank you for the reply though, I appreciate it.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2021 8:31 AM in response to LD150

Hi! Thanks for the reply. This app specifically does not run while locked as far as I know. While admittedly it would be easier to just not use the screen time feature at all, I am just looking for a way to keep my screen time in check, but the tool is not very helpful when it says that I am using an app for 7 hours that I was actually asleep and away from my phone for. Thank you for the reply though, I appreciate it.

Screen Time Counting While Locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.