Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just upgraded from Mojave to Big Sur on my Mac and can no longer access my MS Word, and Excel. Recommendations for the best way to continue using Word and Excel?

I lost access to MS Word and Excel, etc. on upgrading from Mojave to Big Sur. I think it's because Big Sur doesn't support my old software. Suggestions for best way to gain access to Word and Excel on my Mac?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 24, 2021 12:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2021 2:21 PM

Microsoft only supports their 64-bit Microsoft 365 (subscription) or Office 2019 for Mac (single purchase) on Mojave, Catalina, and Big Sur. Older MS Office suites 2008/2011/2016 have been retired without support. Your MS Office documents on Big Sur are unaffected by the 32/64-bit application issue and will open fine in a currently supported Office suite, or even in the free, 64-bit LibreOffice Suite.

Many of us have macOS 11.1 running without any issues on M1 and Intel hardware, and if someone feels they should retreat to a former operating system, that is their choice. It probably has to do with issues other than Big Sur feeling like "beta" software in its 11.1 release, as that certainly is not my experience at all.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2021 2:21 PM in response to AlpinePatroler

Microsoft only supports their 64-bit Microsoft 365 (subscription) or Office 2019 for Mac (single purchase) on Mojave, Catalina, and Big Sur. Older MS Office suites 2008/2011/2016 have been retired without support. Your MS Office documents on Big Sur are unaffected by the 32/64-bit application issue and will open fine in a currently supported Office suite, or even in the free, 64-bit LibreOffice Suite.

Many of us have macOS 11.1 running without any issues on M1 and Intel hardware, and if someone feels they should retreat to a former operating system, that is their choice. It probably has to do with issues other than Big Sur feeling like "beta" software in its 11.1 release, as that certainly is not my experience at all.

Jan 24, 2021 1:06 PM in response to AlpinePatroler

Stick with Mojave. I don't know which version you are using but Big Sur does not acknowledge any 32 bit apps. If you are using Microsoft Office 2011, that is 32 bit and if you want to continue with using Big Sur then you'll have to upgrade to a 64 bit Microsoft Office version. Hth

For different reasons I am uninstalling Big Sur from my Mac and going back to Mojave. Big Sur needs quite a bit of work before it is ready. It's more like a beta version. - well, that's my experience and I have been using MacOS's since 1988.

I just upgraded from Mojave to Big Sur on my Mac and can no longer access my MS Word, and Excel. Recommendations for the best way to continue using Word and Excel?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.