Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur: Fonts not loading in Fontbook

I recently purchased a new Imac which came with Big Sur installed. I'm having major font issues. Fonts will not load load into FontBook. I noticed that my postscript font icons are showing up as little black boxes. As a professional designer, I need a stable font management program!

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 5:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 8:54 AM

Howdy,

Thanks for the screenshot.

I see PostScript and Font Suitcases in your list of fonts.

Font Suitcases were used with Classic Mac OS 9 and below so are very old.

From How to install and remove fonts on your Mac

macOS supports TrueType (.ttf), Variable TrueType (.ttf), TrueType Collection (.ttc), OpenType (.otf), and OpenType Collection (.ttc) fonts. macOS Mojave adds support for OpenType-SVG fonts.

Legacy suitcase TrueType fonts and PostScript Type 1 LWFN fonts might work but aren't recommended.

Are the fonts you need available in newer versions like TrueType?

ivan

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2021 8:54 AM in response to LisaRen

Howdy,

Thanks for the screenshot.

I see PostScript and Font Suitcases in your list of fonts.

Font Suitcases were used with Classic Mac OS 9 and below so are very old.

From How to install and remove fonts on your Mac

macOS supports TrueType (.ttf), Variable TrueType (.ttf), TrueType Collection (.ttc), OpenType (.otf), and OpenType Collection (.ttc) fonts. macOS Mojave adds support for OpenType-SVG fonts.

Legacy suitcase TrueType fonts and PostScript Type 1 LWFN fonts might work but aren't recommended.

Are the fonts you need available in newer versions like TrueType?

ivan

Jan 25, 2021 9:00 AM in response to ivan54

Hi, I contacted apple support and they provided me with the same link. I discovered that I was just installing them in the wrong location! If I install them in "Library/Fonts" so that any user can access my fonts. Now they are showing up just fine. Phew. Slight panic there. I work in the print industry and I was always told to avoid truetype fonts! Technology changes, so maybe that isn't the case anymore. Thanks for your help!

Big Sur: Fonts not loading in Fontbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.