Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone SE (1st Gen) start up problem

I restored my iPhone SE (Ist gen) from a backup when I went to restart it, it will not turn on. It keeps trying to restart -alternating the apple screen and a black screen. It just keeps repeating this. I tried connecting to my imac - but it wont show up in finder, and also tried to do the factory restart. No joy - any ideas?

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 6:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 12:24 PM

Booting into DFU mode turned out to be the solution. Details here

But when I did it, it repeated gave me a screen in Finder that just said "Software: Loading..." I left it for a considerable time, for several attempts. Nothing happened. I have up unplugged the phone, and plugged it back in to do something else, and immediately the Restore screen came up in Finder. And after that, it was as expected

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2021 12:24 PM in response to revjmark

Booting into DFU mode turned out to be the solution. Details here

But when I did it, it repeated gave me a screen in Finder that just said "Software: Loading..." I left it for a considerable time, for several attempts. Nothing happened. I have up unplugged the phone, and plugged it back in to do something else, and immediately the Restore screen came up in Finder. And after that, it was as expected

Jan 26, 2021 12:31 AM in response to LD150

Hi Peter. I might be wrong, but I wonder if this is different - in the one I followed the iphone screen stayed black, and the notification comes up on the computer - rather than displaying the restore images. As far as I can see DFU is different from restore mode. But I have no expertise in this. Happy to bow to greater knowledge. Maybe if I had unplugged the cable in the restore mode and plugged it in again, it would have been successful too. Just writing up my own experience here in case it is of help to anyone! Thanks again for your input - even seeing the recovery screen lifted my spirits at a point when I thought the phone was goosed!

iPhone SE (1st Gen) start up problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.