Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail Crashing

Hi everyone,

I have an iMac here and Apple Mail is crashing when I try to open it. Is anyone able to figure out what I need to do to fix this?

Error details are here:

---------------------------

Process:               Mail [54150]

Path:                  /Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail

Identifier:            Mail

Version:               11.5 (3445.9.1)

Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process:        ??? [1]

Responsible:           Mail [54150]

User ID:               502

Date/Time:             2021-01-23 15:40:38.581 -0500

OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.13.6 (17G66)

Report Version:        12

Anonymous UUID:        16D5652B-A820-8C24-99C1-31258BC35A60

Sleep/Wake UUID:       279F45BF-EE06-452D-AC72-1466D334CEC9

Time Awake Since Boot: 77000 seconds

Time Since Wake:       75000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000010f9408b8

Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Segmentation fault: 11

Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb

Terminating Process:   exc handler [0]

VM Regions Near 0x10f9408b8:

VM_ALLOCATE            000000010f86b000-000000010f8b4000 [  292K] r--/rwx SM=PRV  

--> 

__TEXT                 000000010f979000-000000010fb75000 [ 2032K] r-x/rwx SM=COW  /Library/Mail/*/MCMailCore.framework/Versions/A/MCMailCore

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 12:36 PM

I did run Onyx to rebuild Apple Mail Indexes. That did not work.

Safe Mode - Mail will open.

When I go back to Normal Mode - Mail will not open and a crash report comes back up.

Normal Mode - Disconnected or Connected to the internet - Mail does not open.

This iMac has not been connected to the internet for 6-12 months. It was being kept as an as-is archive.

The iMac - Apple Mail - has 3 Exchange email accounts and 1 iCloud email account and hundreds of thousands of emails which range from 2020 and dating back to the 90's.

I did try running Onyx again. I selected to Delete the Existing Mailbox Index and Spotlight as well. Then I ran it again to Rebuild The Index.

Now finally I can open Apple Mail and it is "Importing Messages"!

Looks like I am in business again!

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2021 12:36 PM in response to BDAqua

I did run Onyx to rebuild Apple Mail Indexes. That did not work.

Safe Mode - Mail will open.

When I go back to Normal Mode - Mail will not open and a crash report comes back up.

Normal Mode - Disconnected or Connected to the internet - Mail does not open.

This iMac has not been connected to the internet for 6-12 months. It was being kept as an as-is archive.

The iMac - Apple Mail - has 3 Exchange email accounts and 1 iCloud email account and hundreds of thousands of emails which range from 2020 and dating back to the 90's.

I did try running Onyx again. I selected to Delete the Existing Mailbox Index and Spotlight as well. Then I ran it again to Rebuild The Index.

Now finally I can open Apple Mail and it is "Importing Messages"!

Looks like I am in business again!

Jan 28, 2021 10:02 AM in response to avanspro

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

You can save us asking dozens of questions by submitting a report from this App for us to look at…

EtreCheck is a FREE simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report if you capture the URL while there, if pastebinis a rob;em use the last method.…

https://pastebin.com/

Whew, they've changed pastebin & made it harder, but after pasting in, click Create new paste button, then Embed button, then copy the URL...

<script src="https://pastebin.com/embed_js/KuvnghqA"></script>

The important part of the above link would be...

https://pastebin.com/embed_js/KuvnghqA

Workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck. In a Reply before you click post, look for this to add longer texts...

Jan 25, 2021 11:52 AM in response to avanspro

Hello,

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

If still no good Disconnect from the Internet, then start Mail, look for the last rec'd eMail.

Does Mail crash if no internet?

Quit Mail & login to your WebMail in a Browser, if possible delete any later eMails there after the last rec'd one on the Mac.

If you have no POP accounts & they’re all IMAP accounts then in Mail’s Mailbox menu choose Rebuild.

Jan 28, 2021 10:31 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua,

I did some more investigation this morning before I saw your reply. The problem came from a Plugin from “Daylite” software from “Marketcircle Inc”. Once I deleted this Mail opened up and we can use it again.

Thanks for your support and suggestions. I will ensure that I post an Etrecheck report next time.

Apple Mail Crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.