Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Mail quit unexpectedly" problem

Getting one "mail quit unexpectedly" after the other. Not able to access mail anymore. I am running on a 2008 iMac with OS El Capitan10.11.06. About 3 months ago, the problem occurred for the first time, I contacted the helpdesk and was told that I could only solve this by upgrading to a new Mac to get me a more recent OS and the lot. However shortly after without any corrective action on my behalf, it started to work again (someone @ Apple must have done something - no idea what). Now, 3 months later it starts again... What can I do? Stack dump below....

Thanks a bunch for any hints/help you can provide!

Hans

Process: Mail [2497]

Path: /Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail

Identifier: com.apple.mail

Version: 9.3 (3124)

Build Info: Mail-3124000000000000~2

Code Type: X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process: ??? [1]

Responsible: Mail [2497]

User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2021-02-10 14:23:14.841 +0100

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.11.6 (15G22010)

Report Version: 11

Anonymous UUID: 165097A6-44AE-3383-63DF-65998C228F39

Sleep/Wake UUID: 32FAD053-C5BC-4D59-9E60-80645A76B510

Time Awake Since Boot: 2800 seconds

Time Since Wake: 890 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000018

Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

VM Regions Near 0x18:

-->

__TEXT 0000000101900000-0000000101cbb000 [ 3820K] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail

Application Specific Information:

objc_msgSend() selector name: release

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 10, 2021 5:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 9:20 AM

Hello HansBuss,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities! We understand you're having trouble with your Mail app quitting unexpectedly. We know how important it is to send and receive email in order to stay in contact with others. We're happy to assist you with this.

Let's quit the Mail app, then reopen it while holding the Shift key on the left-hand side of your keyboard. This will stop the app from restoring the last session.

Next, restart your Mac by clicking the Apple  menu and selecting "Restart..." from the drop down.

You can also test to see if the Mail app quits in safe mode. You can get information on safe mode, including how to boot to it, in this article: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Safe mode will disable certain software and processes that could be causing a conflict with your Mail app. Open the Mail app in safe mode, and see if it quits. Make noe of the results, then restart the computer and try opening the Mail app again.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities, and have a great day!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2021 9:20 AM in response to HansBuss

Hello HansBuss,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities! We understand you're having trouble with your Mail app quitting unexpectedly. We know how important it is to send and receive email in order to stay in contact with others. We're happy to assist you with this.

Let's quit the Mail app, then reopen it while holding the Shift key on the left-hand side of your keyboard. This will stop the app from restoring the last session.

Next, restart your Mac by clicking the Apple  menu and selecting "Restart..." from the drop down.

You can also test to see if the Mail app quits in safe mode. You can get information on safe mode, including how to boot to it, in this article: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Safe mode will disable certain software and processes that could be causing a conflict with your Mail app. Open the Mail app in safe mode, and see if it quits. Make noe of the results, then restart the computer and try opening the Mail app again.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities, and have a great day!

"Mail quit unexpectedly" problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.