Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K no sound with atmos on Yamaha 3040 receiver.

I see this ha been brought up many times, no resolution, apart from a software update that seemed to fix it for a while?!

inhave just bought a brand new apple tv4k, to play atmos through my Yamaha Avantage RX a3040 receiver with 7.4.1 setup.

No sound at all with atmos selected on Apple TV when playing a relevant film.

deselect atmos, works perfect in 7.1

any ideas. I am using the correct modes on the Yamaha, have a perfectly good HDMI and excellent broadband....

thanks in advance.

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 4:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 4:31 AM

Play audio in Dolby Atmos or surround sound on your Apple TV - Apple Support

• Verify that you Apple TV is connected to your receiver directly. Apple TV → AV receiver → TV.
  • Verify that your receiver supports Dolby MAT (uncompressed), as that is the format that Apple TV uses to output Dolby Atmos. The receiver may need a firmware update, as some models had this capability added later.
  • Verify that the Apple TV is connected to an HDMI 2.0 port with 18 Gbps certified HDMI cables.
  • Some receivers and TVs need their HDMI 2.0 port configured for high bandwidth “Enhanced” use.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2021 4:31 AM in response to AJF108

Play audio in Dolby Atmos or surround sound on your Apple TV - Apple Support

• Verify that you Apple TV is connected to your receiver directly. Apple TV → AV receiver → TV.
  • Verify that your receiver supports Dolby MAT (uncompressed), as that is the format that Apple TV uses to output Dolby Atmos. The receiver may need a firmware update, as some models had this capability added later.
  • Verify that the Apple TV is connected to an HDMI 2.0 port with 18 Gbps certified HDMI cables.
  • Some receivers and TVs need their HDMI 2.0 port configured for high bandwidth “Enhanced” use.

Feb 13, 2021 7:38 AM in response to AJF108

I have a Yamaha RX-A2A (brand new for 2021). Firmware is up to date. The connections are verified, the HDMI cable test worked perfectly, etc. But when I have ATMOS selected on the ATV and watch a movie with Atmos, there is a delay of 5-10 seconds before the sound starts. If I switch the ATV back to 5.1 instead of Atmos, there is no delay. Not a deal breaker, but annoying. Not sure what is causing the delay.

Apple TV 4K no sound with atmos on Yamaha 3040 receiver.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.