Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rosetta and "unable to check for updates. Make sure you are connected to the internet",

Can't use Zoom plus other apps. New Mac Air wants Rosetta. When I click "Install" I get the message "unable to check for updates. Make sure you are connected to the internet". But I am obviously connected to the internet.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 8:31 AM

3 replies

Jan 26, 2021 8:43 AM in response to CB500X

CB500X wrote:

Can't use Zoom plus other apps. New Mac Air wants Rosetta. When I click "Install" I get the message "unable to check for updates. Make sure you are connected to the internet". But I am obviously connected to the internet.

Only if you are using an M1 Mac and need it:

Mac computers with Apple silicon:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Mac mini (M1, 2020)

Rosetta 2 an emulator built into macOS Big Sur that will enable ARM Macs (M1) to run old Intel applications. Rosetta 2 essentially “translates” instructions that were written for Intel processors into commands that Apple’s chips (SoC) can understand. Developers won’t need to make any changes to their old apps; they’ll just work.

Rosetta 2 works with Intel-based apps distributed through the Mac App Store, and desktop applications downloaded and installed from external sources.

To the user, Rosetta is mostly transparent. If an executable contains only Intel instructions, macOS automatically launches Rosetta and begins the translation process.

When launching any Mac apps for the first time on Apple Silicon Macs, the apps will bounce in the dock for approximately 20 seconds while the Rosetta 2 translation process is completed, with all subsequent launches being fast.

If you need to install Rosetta on your Mac - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211861

If no resolve—

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Rosetta and "unable to check for updates. Make sure you are connected to the internet",

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.