Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Song info not displayed in iTunes app on phone

I have most of my music in MP3 format and loaded into iTunes on my windows computer. When I sync it to my phone most come out just fine, but a handfull will only show the artist's name and not the song titles. Can anyone help me correct this? Thanks!

iPhone 11

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 4:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2021 8:07 AM

In iTunes use the Songs view right click on the column headings and enable the Work and Grouping fields, and probably Movement Name & Movement Number for completeness.

These fields are meant to be used to divide up classical albums into their component parts, e.g.

But for popular music you would normally want Work, Movement Name, and Movement Number to be blank and the option to Use Work & Movement to be turned off. You can select tracks in iTunes and press Ctrl+i to get Song Info, then make changes accordingly. When you sync back to the phone it should sort things out. See also Grouping tracks into albums for further advice on organizing content in iTunes.

tt2

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2021 8:07 AM in response to MBS1963

In iTunes use the Songs view right click on the column headings and enable the Work and Grouping fields, and probably Movement Name & Movement Number for completeness.

These fields are meant to be used to divide up classical albums into their component parts, e.g.

But for popular music you would normally want Work, Movement Name, and Movement Number to be blank and the option to Use Work & Movement to be turned off. You can select tracks in iTunes and press Ctrl+i to get Song Info, then make changes accordingly. When you sync back to the phone it should sort things out. See also Grouping tracks into albums for further advice on organizing content in iTunes.

tt2

Jan 27, 2021 4:21 PM in response to turingtest2

Why do you recommend that album artist be filled? I only found that section to be a problem with one grouping and the artist category is complete, so it didn’t present an issue.

on a side note; as I have about 8,000 songs that I needed to verify I decided to experiment and found that as long as you are just editing out the work and movement categories, you can do large groups of mixed artists instead of individuals.

thanks again!

Jan 27, 2021 4:39 PM in response to MBS1963

Album Artist is meant for the artist or group that released the album. Artist is meant for details about the particular track, which may differ if there are guest or featured artists. Album Artist is only needed when different tracks from the same album have different Artist values, but I normally fill in both for completeness. I might be a bit OCD when it comes to metadata.

tt2

Song info not displayed in iTunes app on phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.