Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Auto fill Passwords and Safari teaming up badly

I have to toggle it on and off if I ever need to click on a link in an email to change a password on any websites. Plus if I have a gift card I have to register and prompted for a password to create it freezes up. The keyboard won't pop up to type. Or slow to pop up. Or keychain figures I must use them. When I go to turn off Auto Fill, and pick Auto Fill Passwords so I can, it has a long delay. Then the AutoFill Password Toggle Switch is unresponsive with a much too long delay. Toggle switch works fine else where on Iphone X. Just in Auto Fill. To select where Auto Fill From: that is sluggish too. So if I must get to the keyboard in Safari for inputting my own password as needed when filling out forms or link directed bc I requested a password change, I have to turn off Auto Fill Password and it just lags way too much. No idea if it was the prior update on iOS but the latest hasn't not fixed it.

iPhone X

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 6:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2021 8:30 AM

Since its on mini 4. Ipad pro too. And my Pro. Trying on mini 4 first. And guess I will have to try eventually signing up an acct somewhere to see if keyboard and keychain are not arguing and neither doing anything. And next try it on my Pro. And if no issue with them, then will start on my phone. i can see how that might help. Just Erase All yesterday on the husbands old iphone 4 to Erase All. Think no sim card in it but did not have luck with a paper clip. Right now mini has had those reset.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2021 8:30 AM in response to Jeff_W.

Since its on mini 4. Ipad pro too. And my Pro. Trying on mini 4 first. And guess I will have to try eventually signing up an acct somewhere to see if keyboard and keychain are not arguing and neither doing anything. And next try it on my Pro. And if no issue with them, then will start on my phone. i can see how that might help. Just Erase All yesterday on the husbands old iphone 4 to Erase All. Think no sim card in it but did not have luck with a paper clip. Right now mini has had those reset.

Jan 28, 2021 1:47 PM in response to Pennybinker

Hello Pennybinker,

It sounds like you are experiencing performance issues when accessing your Auto fill passwords. We understand how important this is to you and we are here to help.

Are you currently syncing your keychain with iCloud? If so, let's disable it, restart your device and enable it again. This article may help: Set up iCloud Keychain

If the issue persists can you provide a few more details? Which device and iOS version are you currently using? Do you experience these issues on apps as well as Safari? Also, are you using any 3rd party keyboards?

Cheers!

Feb 4, 2021 6:40 AM in response to Pennybinker

PennyBinker,

Thank you for those details. Next, we want you to Reset All Settings. This will not erase any of your personal data.

Doing this step will reset network settings, the keyboard dictionary, the Home Screen layout, location settings, privacy settings, and Apple Pay cards. No data or media are deleted. This article may help: Return iPhone settings to their defaults

Prior to trying this step, we would recommend backing up your devices using this article: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Once this is complete, test to see if the issue persists and if your settings are still slow to respond.

Take Care!

Jan 29, 2021 7:47 AM in response to barberlives123

It is actually happening on my iphone x. Ipad Pro 12-9 inch and a ipad mini 4. All are current with ios. 14.4. the latest has not corrected it. If I manage to turn off auto fill as stated the toggle can act dead and slow to respond or waiting for me to touch it several times to toggle before turning off or on. Just going to auto fill in settings is slow opening to show what sites have saved passwords. No other place in settings acts up. Just auto fill. First time I saw an issue was with a walmart gift card having to register it. All went fine line by line using the keyboard until i got to entering a password. Pretty much look frozen at that point and sometimes like the keyboard wanted to come up. I discovered turning off auto password is settings stopped this. Hard reboot on devices will not correct the issue.

Jan 29, 2021 7:52 AM in response to Pennybinker

Icloud keychain i already turned off. But to turn it back on it will only do so if I cave into 2 factor and no plans of doing that any time soon. Esp after it seems the issue with locking me out of my Apple account way too many times seems to have taken care of itself. Many on here are still pouring in with that issue of being locked out as an ongoing thing. I lean towards issue not on the devices with either issue.

Feb 4, 2021 8:55 AM in response to Jeff_W.

Pro. Looks like keyboard was useable to create a password. Auto Passwords has no toggle on Pri but arrow as it always has. That is still slow to respond. Then the TOGGLE BUTTON for Autofill Passwods responds slowly. Turned it off but slow. More stubborn trying to turn it back on. Several swipes. Tiny slow backing out Passwords. But better. Looks like just the slow toggle thus far on ipad pro 12 inch. And Save Password did pop up as that was questionable. Would be pleased if never having to toggle off passwords in settings.

Feb 4, 2021 9:12 AM in response to Pennybinker

Far as I know I am not having to turn off auto with passwords when creating one when needed. But in Settings still sluggish. Seems it takes longer to pick keychain as doing it and too long getting to turn it back On. But hopefully I will never have to turn it off. Hearing my watch now has synced so yes Helpful. And correct as far as the it stopped my doing what I needed to do like all frozen. Thx.

Auto fill Passwords and Safari teaming up badly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.