Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot stay connected to Mobile Hotspot from iPad Air 4 to Apple SE 2020

This is a pretty simple problem. I have an iPhone SE 2020 with cellular data. I have other ipads which will connect to this device and can be used as a mobile hotspot.

I just got an ipad Air 4. When trying to connect to the same iPhone SE 2020 hotspot - the connection shows the blue checkmark for about 5 seconds then it disconnects and reconnects to Wifi.

How can I troubleshoot this or delete and recreate the hotspot connection? It doesn't look like I can remove that connection on the iPad like it allows with other Wifi connections.

Both devices were just updated to 14.4 to rule out this issue, and they are both relatively new.

Posted on Jan 27, 2021 12:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2021 1:12 PM

Ok I figured out how to delete a personal hotspot connection - this would avoid the task of resetting ALL network settings. I was able to delete and re establish the connection and it works now.

The only way to delete a personal hotspot connection is to actually connect - since the connection only lasts between 1 and 5 seconds - you have to do this fast. Again - this is really counter intuitive - and you should be able to remove an unconnected connection without resetting all the network connections.

When the blue check mark comes up - click on the connected network and then choose Forget This Network. If the blue check mark disappears - you're out of luck and you won't be able to remove the connection.

Once the connection is removed - create a new connection to the same hotspot.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2021 1:12 PM in response to Originaldiode

Ok I figured out how to delete a personal hotspot connection - this would avoid the task of resetting ALL network settings. I was able to delete and re establish the connection and it works now.

The only way to delete a personal hotspot connection is to actually connect - since the connection only lasts between 1 and 5 seconds - you have to do this fast. Again - this is really counter intuitive - and you should be able to remove an unconnected connection without resetting all the network connections.

When the blue check mark comes up - click on the connected network and then choose Forget This Network. If the blue check mark disappears - you're out of luck and you won't be able to remove the connection.

Once the connection is removed - create a new connection to the same hotspot.

Jan 28, 2021 6:52 PM in response to Originaldiode

Hello Originaldiode,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having trouble with your new iPad Air 4, it won't connect to Hotspot. We're happy to help. "The number of devices that can join your Personal Hotspot at one time depends on your carrier."

Check out the following support articles:

How to set up a Personal Hotspot on your iPhone or iPad

If Personal Hotspot is not working on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular)

Use Instant Hotspot to connect to your Personal Hotspot without entering a password

Cheers!

Jan 28, 2021 7:37 PM in response to KMB_12

Thanks - but this doesn't help. Hotspot is set up properly and is enabled in Cellular service. Only one device is connecting at a time.

As mentioned I can connect other Ipads and even Windows devices to the SE 2020 via Wifi.

The Ipad Air 4 connects momentarily and then disconnects and reverts to regular Wifi.

The SE 2020 shows the blue bar (1 hotspot connection) then it disappears.

How can we troubleshoot this?

Where are the logs on the Air 4

How can I remove the hotspot connection to the SE 2020 on the iPad Air 4 and try reconnecting again?

Please advise

Jan 29, 2021 7:45 AM in response to Originaldiode

Hello Originaldiode,

Thanks for the additional information.

We understand that the issue is isolated to your iPad Air 4. To remove Hotspot connections you need to reset Network Settings. "This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you’ve used before." If you already tried the steps we previously provided. We'd recommend reaching out for additional support here: Get Support

Take care.

Cannot stay connected to Mobile Hotspot from iPad Air 4 to Apple SE 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.