Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing M1 Mac with iPhone 11

I'm not sure where to post this but I'm wondering if I've found a bug with Big Sur. I recently bought a M1 Mac Mini and attempted to sync it with my iPhone 11. This was done with the cable, not Wi-Fi. I imported some music from the Mac to my iPhone and everything seemed to be fine. The next day however I noticed that a few of my apps (games and bank app) would no longer open. So I uninstalled and tried reinstalling the apps but they refused to reinstall. Not only that but other apps started to become unresponsive to the point that the only thing that worked were the apps solely for the Apple ecosystem (messenger, music, etc.)

So after some time with Apple Support ultimately I had to wipe the iPhone and reinstall back to factory settings. This seemed to fix the issue but once again I tried to file exchange with my Mac Mini and it happened again. So I repeated the process wiping back to factory settings and now I'm simply not going to sync the iPhone with the Mac but I thought I should share this. I'm not sure if it's a bug or if I did something wrong. I just hope that if it is a bug that Apple can know about it and a fix can be implemented in the future.

Posted on Jan 27, 2021 1:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2021 5:23 PM

There are many of us having this issue. The longest thread on this forum is this one:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252182225

Several of us have reported it to Apple, and the latest update from my advisor is that it has been accepted as an issue by the engineering team who are currently working on it. Best work-around right now is to not connect directly to your M1 Mac and use iCloud instead, if possible. Once the apps start crashing, only resetting the iPhone and restoring a backup seems to fix it.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2021 5:23 PM in response to evosteevo

There are many of us having this issue. The longest thread on this forum is this one:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252182225

Several of us have reported it to Apple, and the latest update from my advisor is that it has been accepted as an issue by the engineering team who are currently working on it. Best work-around right now is to not connect directly to your M1 Mac and use iCloud instead, if possible. Once the apps start crashing, only resetting the iPhone and restoring a backup seems to fix it.

Jan 27, 2021 1:41 AM in response to SravanKrA

I appreciate the response but I've looked into quite a few different troubleshooting on this already. It just seemed to be a little buggy. For instance the second time I connected the iPhone to the Mac the iPhone was not appearing in the finder side bar. I checked the settings to make sure they were correct for displaying connected CDs, DVDs, and iOS devices and everything was correct. Unchecked for a minute, rechecked and problem was still present. Using official cord that came with my iPhone by the way. So after a few attempts unplugging and replugging back in it came up in the finder window eventually.

Really, the most concerning thing about it all was how the apps started becoming unresponsive one after another on the iPhone. It actually only happened with a couple at first but eventually none would open or redownload. I'm not sure if I interrupted an exchange of information while ejecting the iPhone from the Mac or what the case may be but it seems whatever happened both times only effected the iPhone.

Syncing M1 Mac with iPhone 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.