Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2019 MacBook Pro battery draining in sleep mode

My 2019 Macbook Pro recently started draining its battery while sleeping. I've been using the machine for over a year and this problem started in the last two weeks. The laptop heats up considerably as well. I'm not running any programs/downloads (that I'm aware of) that I wasn't running over the past year. Any thoughts on how to address the issue would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 27, 2021 5:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2021 6:00 AM

SMC reset may help, Also see if shutdown helps while not using for long periods / overnight.

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

About the SMC

The system management controller is responsible for managing behaviors related to these features:

• Power, including the power button and power to the USB ports
  • Battery and charging
  • Fans and other thermal-management features
  • Indicators or sensors such as status indicator lights (sleep status, battery charging status, and others), the sudden motion sensor, the ambient light sensor, and keyboard backlighting
  • Behavior when opening and closing the lid of a notebook computer

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2021 6:00 AM in response to TheJBiz

SMC reset may help, Also see if shutdown helps while not using for long periods / overnight.

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

About the SMC

The system management controller is responsible for managing behaviors related to these features:

• Power, including the power button and power to the USB ports
  • Battery and charging
  • Fans and other thermal-management features
  • Indicators or sensors such as status indicator lights (sleep status, battery charging status, and others), the sudden motion sensor, the ambient light sensor, and keyboard backlighting
  • Behavior when opening and closing the lid of a notebook computer

Jan 27, 2021 5:53 AM in response to TheJBiz

TheJBiz wrote:

My 2019 Macbook Pro recently started draining its battery while sleeping. I've been using the machine for over a year and this problem started in the last two weeks. The laptop heats up considerably as well. I'm not running any programs/downloads (that I'm aware of) that I wasn't running over the past year. Any thoughts on how to address the issue would be appreciated.

Verify you have Turned off (disable) Power Nap in both Battery/Power Adapter. Known to currently cause some issues. I can not speculate on your "last two weeks."

From >System Preferences>Battery

If you still have an issue you can always try reset the SMC https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

(does not apply to the SoC M1 Macs)

Turn Power Nap on or off on Mac - Apple Support

What is Power Nap on Mac? - Apple Support

2019 MacBook Pro battery draining in sleep mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.