Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change Duration of clip

I am having trouble changing the duration of a clip. I can change the clip duration manually by selecting the clip and dragging it to the right to extend the time say from 10 seconds to 20 seconds, or down to 4 seconds. However, my problem is using the ^D shortcut or "Change Duration" via Modify tag. When I select the clip in the timeline, ^D, then change the time of the clip say from 10 seconds to 4 seconds (using counter in blue in the viewer section), then press return on my keyboard: my playhead moves to 4 seconds instead of the duration changing to 4 seconds. I have troubleshooted with many different scenarios and clips, reset preferences, but nothing seems to help. Please, if anyone knows the fix to this, I would be very happy to hear from you ...

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 27, 2021 12:19 PM

Similar questions

14 replies

Jan 27, 2021 12:22 PM in response to OzAus

For some reason, it seems like the application is acting as if you had pressed control-P instead of control-D.

Try resetting preferences.

To delete preferences, hold down command and option while starting FCP X and click Delete Preferences.

The application will start in a default state, and open an "Untitled" library. Reopen the library you were working on, set the preferences the way you like them, and try again.

Jan 27, 2021 1:57 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks the quick reply. I had tried deleting preferences before asking the community. I tried again and just opened one new clip in Antilles and tried the change duration. Unfortunately it did not resolve the issue and the Playhead moves instead of the duration changing. Any other tricks. In case this makes a difference: I am using the Trial version at this stage (to make sure all the features I need work: alas this one doesn't work yet) ...

Jan 27, 2021 3:08 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Yes, I know. I've spent hours trying to work it out. Also, I see the duration of the clip at the very top right when in inspector mode but this doesn't;t seem to be editable (the duration also appears in the inspector element menu view but also not editable). Is there anywhere else I can manually type in a duration?

Change Duration of clip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.