Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery drain IOS 14

I have an iPhone SE purchased in 2018. Just wanted to contribute another voice and story to the battery drain issue.

Every possible setting to reduce battery usage has been turned off since I purchased the phone, including using low power mode all the time. For sure, since 14.3 my phone has been consistently draining at night by at least 30% or 40% when during the day drains less than 10%.

I just updated to 14.4 yesterday at 7am, when phone was charged to 100%. I did not touch my phone all day and at 7pm, battery was at 97%. As an experiment, I even turned on airplane mode last night before falling asleep. I also turned off optimized battery changing yesterday, thinking that might be causing a problem. In the morning when I woke, the battery was at 68%.

I do not use my phone much at all, because I have an iPod and iPad. The only thing I use is the occasional phone call, message, email, safari when I am away from my other devices, and camera/photos app. I have a third party weather radar app that does not do anything when not in use (background app refresh is off for all apps) My battery health is fine at 100%. I was able to go three days at least without charging my phone until 14.3. There may have been slight diminishment after 14.2 but not enough for me to notice.

Everything was fine for three years, then for no reason at all, my battery is suddenly draining at night. It seems crazy that I need to charge my phone when it is in the 90% range at bedtime just to avoid an unexplained overnight battery drain!!

The other day I was called into work between 10pm and 1am, and while I was working in the hospital ER, I glanced at my phone a few times and sure enough for no reason, the battery drained around 30% during those hours while I was not using the phone at all except to briefly glance at the battery percentage two or three times.

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 4:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 5:37 AM

Protect & Prolong life of your iPhone's Battery:

1. About the battery usage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch ...
  2. Batteries - Maximising Performance - Apple (IN)
  3. iPhone Battery and Performance

Try some of these options too.

1. Avoid Screen Mirroring
  2. Put on Low Power Mode
  3. Put Auto Lock On (1 min):- with low power mode it will be 30 Sec
  4. Put Auto Answer Off
  5. Disable Push notifications for apps you do not use often
  6. Keep your iPhone Face down to prevent notifications to light up screen
  7. Enable Auto Brightness:- Settings > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations > Auto-Brightness [Enable]
  8. Manually lower brightness from Control Center
  9. If you Want to watch continuous Video. Stream it on TV or a Monitor
  10. Don't force close apps; Apps which are not on frontend screen are paused by the system to save energy. Apps require more energy to re-launch. Apps which are open in the background use large memory is a myth and quitting them is counterproductive
  11. Location services to be allowed only while using the app
  12. Set your iPhone to fetch email and calendar data from internet less frequently
  13. Turning off Background App Refresh 
  14. Charge before it drops below 20-30%
  15. Try connecting to trusted Wifi where ever available in stead of Cellular
  16. Enable Airplane mode in areas with bad cellular and wifi coverage. Your phone keeps trying for reconnection with the missing / weak network. This uses lot of energy
  17. Switch off Wifi & Bluetooth while in Roaming or Not in Range
  18. Enable "Wifi Assist" : Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data > Wi-Fi Assist [Enable]
  19. Periodically Check your Battery Health (Settings > Battery > Battery Health)

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2021 5:37 AM in response to gnidreg

Protect & Prolong life of your iPhone's Battery:

1. About the battery usage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch ...
  2. Batteries - Maximising Performance - Apple (IN)
  3. iPhone Battery and Performance

Try some of these options too.

1. Avoid Screen Mirroring
  2. Put on Low Power Mode
  3. Put Auto Lock On (1 min):- with low power mode it will be 30 Sec
  4. Put Auto Answer Off
  5. Disable Push notifications for apps you do not use often
  6. Keep your iPhone Face down to prevent notifications to light up screen
  7. Enable Auto Brightness:- Settings > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations > Auto-Brightness [Enable]
  8. Manually lower brightness from Control Center
  9. If you Want to watch continuous Video. Stream it on TV or a Monitor
  10. Don't force close apps; Apps which are not on frontend screen are paused by the system to save energy. Apps require more energy to re-launch. Apps which are open in the background use large memory is a myth and quitting them is counterproductive
  11. Location services to be allowed only while using the app
  12. Set your iPhone to fetch email and calendar data from internet less frequently
  13. Turning off Background App Refresh 
  14. Charge before it drops below 20-30%
  15. Try connecting to trusted Wifi where ever available in stead of Cellular
  16. Enable Airplane mode in areas with bad cellular and wifi coverage. Your phone keeps trying for reconnection with the missing / weak network. This uses lot of energy
  17. Switch off Wifi & Bluetooth while in Roaming or Not in Range
  18. Enable "Wifi Assist" : Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data > Wi-Fi Assist [Enable]
  19. Periodically Check your Battery Health (Settings > Battery > Battery Health)

Jan 29, 2021 7:06 AM in response to SravanKrA

Thanks for taking the time to respond with so much info. I have done all on your list and Apple links except placing the phone face down, turning on wifi assist, and I have just now turned bluetooth off. My fetch mail has been turned off for several months. During the last 10 days 1% of battery was used due to poor signal. I live in a rural area.

The odd aspect is the battery only drains in the middle of the night—during the day it holds a charge perfectly.

I have decided to just charge my phone first thing every morning.

I just really want to preserve this iPhone SE, because I love the small size and the headphone jack. I am sure Apple hates customers who do not buy a new phone every two years.

But anyway, thanks so much for your help!

Battery drain IOS 14

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.