iPhone 13Pro Battery Draining

Hello everyone, I purchased a new iPhone 13 Pro along with my spouse in January 2023. About a month ago, I noticed the battery seemed to be draining a lot more than usual. I ran the diagnostic tests with Apple Support and it passed. It was at 87% capacity. I checked my battery settings and my background app refresher was already off, the clean energy charging and the optimized battery charing were both on and they couldn't find a cause.

I then had a new battery installed by Apple on July 16, 2023 (in which I had to pay for because Apple Care didn't cover it). It's now showing at 100% capacity, however, I still notice it to drain more than usual. On the ride back home yesterday, I put my phone along with my spouses phone to sleep and my phone lost battery percentage where as the other phone stayed the same so that told me something is definitely draining my battery but I can't figure out what.

I called Apple Support again and they said to give it until today and see how it responds and then possibly a reset and send some data to the Apple engineers. I also checked my recent app purchases to see if a new app was causing this but no significant changes or apps were purchased in the past month.

I wanted to see if anyone has had the same issue with such a newer phone and what the fix was. Thanks!

iPhone 13 Pro, 16

Posted on Jul 17, 2023 6:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2023 6:15 PM

iPhone batteries degrade based on usage/ charging cycles. The more you use your device, the more you have to charge it, and therefore the faster it degrades. There sometimes can be an issue with either software or hardware that can cause batteries to drain or degrade at a high pace. You are on the right track though. Apple's engineers will have the advisor pull logs from your device and take some screen shots and screen recordings and review those to see what is causing the drain.

Usually it's something on the user end though. Not saying that's you, but that's usually the case. A game or program is usually the culprit, or something in the settings.

Toggle off things such as Wifi, Bluetooth, and Location Services when you are not using them. These features can drain your battery quickly, especially if they are constantly searching for a signal. Cellular drains your battery faster than anything, so when possible turn off cellular data and use wifi only.

Check for apps that are utilizing too much of the battery: Go to Settings / Battery and view which apps are using the most battery. If you notice any apps that are using a lot of battery in the background, you can try disabling their background activity or uninstalling them if you don't use them frequently.

Keep your device up to date on software for the best battery performance.

iPhone Battery and Performance - Apple Support

About the battery and performance of iPhone 11 and later - Apple Support

If your iPhone or iPad is running slow - Apple Support

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2023 6:15 PM in response to lpp6664

iPhone batteries degrade based on usage/ charging cycles. The more you use your device, the more you have to charge it, and therefore the faster it degrades. There sometimes can be an issue with either software or hardware that can cause batteries to drain or degrade at a high pace. You are on the right track though. Apple's engineers will have the advisor pull logs from your device and take some screen shots and screen recordings and review those to see what is causing the drain.

Usually it's something on the user end though. Not saying that's you, but that's usually the case. A game or program is usually the culprit, or something in the settings.

Toggle off things such as Wifi, Bluetooth, and Location Services when you are not using them. These features can drain your battery quickly, especially if they are constantly searching for a signal. Cellular drains your battery faster than anything, so when possible turn off cellular data and use wifi only.

Check for apps that are utilizing too much of the battery: Go to Settings / Battery and view which apps are using the most battery. If you notice any apps that are using a lot of battery in the background, you can try disabling their background activity or uninstalling them if you don't use them frequently.

Keep your device up to date on software for the best battery performance.

iPhone Battery and Performance - Apple Support

About the battery and performance of iPhone 11 and later - Apple Support

If your iPhone or iPad is running slow - Apple Support

Jul 21, 2023 7:31 PM in response to lpp6664

Hello!

I was wondering how you fared with the encrypted backup and restore process?

If you’re not sure how to go about it, please see:

The links to do this appear below:

Link for how to Back up and Restore: Back up and restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or to iCloud - Apple Support

Link for putting iPhone in DFU Mode: If you can't update or restore your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support

Note: The above material is not my work. Any credit should go to Michael Brooks1  who originally posted it here: Jun 27, 2023 8:55 AM in response to Jubalub. 

Please report back wether performing the above process made the battery drainage worse, fixed it, or if you noticed no change at all. 

Jul 18, 2023 5:20 AM in response to Libby101a

Hello Libby,

I have tried all of the above regarding checking my apps and the background refresher has been off since I had the phone. I don't want to have to constantly toggle off things to conserve the battery as it worked okay over a month ago. I am hopeful that Apple engineers can help today.

Thanks again for your insight.

iPhone 13Pro Battery Draining

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.