Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

iPhone 13 mini drained from 60% to 2% overnight

Recently my iPhone 13 mini has been really sluggish (sometimes it takes a second or two to react to taps), and battery life has been straight up bad. I am at 94% of battery health as I speak, even though like a month ago it was at 98%. I have been noticing seemingly worsened battery life, but just thought that I was dreaming, until today's morning, when I woke up and was astonished to see 2% of battery charge despite going to bed when it was 60% or so. I have closed all apps, and I verified that in the morning.

Now take a look at what my battery stats for the night look like:

All of the intervals from this night show "Usage by app is not available for X AM - Y AM", probably because I have closed all the apps when I was going to bed.

As to updates: I am not sure if I have updated my iPhone recently. At least I haven't had any troubles with overnight draining 3 days ago.

Please, don't suggest "restart" or "turn off location services", because clearly it's not the problem and it won't help me. The problem is much more substantial here. Besides, I have already tried all the basic fixes.

Right now I am considering downgrading to iOS 15 to see if I still have the same problem, but that's more of a last resort option.

iPhone 13 mini, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 3, 2023 10:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 1:53 AM

SOLUTION: resetting iPhone to factory settings did the trick for me. Not only the battery life has become as good as it was 9 months ago, but also the overall responsiveness of the phone came back. By "resetting to factory settings" I mean "Preferences > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Erase All Content And Settings". I also had a full backup of my data. The backup system on iPhone works excellent, it restores almost everything. I only had to log into one app, the rest was already logged in. And of course I had to tweak system settings as well. But I suppose a backup is the optional part if you can't afford it.

I don't get nightly drains anymore, and battery holds the charge way better than before. I hope this also works for you.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2023 1:53 AM in response to babaYaga1964

SOLUTION: resetting iPhone to factory settings did the trick for me. Not only the battery life has become as good as it was 9 months ago, but also the overall responsiveness of the phone came back. By "resetting to factory settings" I mean "Preferences > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Erase All Content And Settings". I also had a full backup of my data. The backup system on iPhone works excellent, it restores almost everything. I only had to log into one app, the rest was already logged in. And of course I had to tweak system settings as well. But I suppose a backup is the optional part if you can't afford it.

I don't get nightly drains anymore, and battery holds the charge way better than before. I hope this also works for you.

Jul 4, 2023 4:30 AM in response to babaYaga1964

I think downgrading might be your best bet at this point. If that doesn't help, you might wanna show it to the Apple authorised service centre, hope you've got the Apple protection plan though. I had a similar issue a while back where the battery of my iPhone 13 plus was dying needlessly, but I had AppleCare so they got it replace entirely. It was a relief!

Nov 1, 2023 10:55 AM in response to babaYaga1964

I have tried this solution to solve the battery drainage problem, but it didn’t fix.

I have been struggling with this problem for a few months now, and today, I just realized that if I turn the WiFi off, the battery drainage stops which means something is using the wifi while the phone is on standby. I have no applications working on the background. Any ideas?

iPhone 13 mini drained from 60% to 2% overnight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.