Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when I try to send mail, I get the message: The server response was Client host rejected: Access denied.

when I try to send mail, I get this message: The server response was: <unknown[72.92.139.143]>: Client host rejected: Access denied. I have tried a custom smtp server set up I found in the forums here, and that doesn;t go through either. Also when I go to system preferences and go to iClocud, my system preferfence freeze and I have to force quit it to get out. So I can't remove icloud from the list and try re-setting it up. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 5:25 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Jan 30, 2021 7:43 PM in response to benbeaudoin

If your iCloud account is not connected ( just an example ) , open mail application click on I cloud and send a mail from - iCloud address ( in the To - field type your gmail address ) the mail will be sent to your inbox in your apple mail application a pop up appears .in this screen shot it is showing could not connect to outgoing server , thats the reason when connection doctor is opened SMTP for iCloud is totally vanished .You can apply same with gmail say if IMAP or SMTP is not working . Simply click on always use this server to get joined .

And you will observe all IMAP / SMTP for gmail account and iCloud account are showing green dots and joined to their respective server .

Compose a mail ( use command and N keys ) , fill up the credentials select a different mail address and click on try with selected server , in fact in mail preferences send new messages is automatic , that's the reason see the article https://support.apple.com/en-ie/guide/mail/cpmlprefcomp/13.0/mac/10.15

Send new messages from .

The email address to use when you send messages.

If you use several email accounts, you can have Mail automatically select the best address, based on the email address of the first recipient in your message, as well as the currently selected mailbox and message.

You can click on drop down arrow and choose the desired mail address like example1@icloud.com

Jan 30, 2021 2:08 PM in response to benbeaudoin

Hello benbeaudoin,

It sounds like you’re having an issue sending mail from your iCloud account.

Here's a great article with steps to take to help out: If iCloud Mail isn't working

Additionally, you may want to restart your Mac as shown here: Log out, sleep, wake, restart or shut down your Mac

That should help to clear that up for you, but feel free to reach back out to the Community if you need further help.

Take care!

Feb 1, 2021 11:25 AM in response to benbeaudoin

me.com was used in previous versions , in latest versions of Mac iCloud.com is compatible , if system preferences is freezing from user library > preferences folder the .plist of system preferences is dragged and dropped to the desktop , restart the Mac the .plist of it is recreated .

You can't log out ? , change the Apple ID of me.com from appleid.apple.com see Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

By the way right now which Apple ID is signed in Mac , is it with me.com

See iCloud: About your @icloud.com, @me.com, and @mac.com email addresses - Apple Support

Using your @icloud.com email address - Apple Support

Jan 30, 2021 4:15 PM in response to KMB_12

Thanks Kareng12,

I appreciate your help.

Unfortunately, I've taken those steps already and they didn't solve the issue. I'm wondering if the System preferences freezing when i click on either "Internet accounts" or Apple ID is the main issue. If I could log out and back in, then I could see if that would help. I've gone so far as to reinstall the OS ( without erasing my software and data), and the problem was still there after the re-install. I'm tempted to reformat and start from scratch, but hoping there's an easier fix before doing that. I'm hoping someone has the same problem and figured it out. I'm open to any solution that works. Thanks!

Feb 1, 2021 12:11 PM in response to tygb

Hi tygb,

I tried removing the .plist of the system preferences and restarting and no change there.

The Apple ID in system preferences still froze.

Then I disconnected my device from the appleid.apple.com and that logged me out from that side.

But when I re-logged back in frommy device, once I was logged in it froze again.

I sign in with my .mac address. I have been using that account for years and have never changed the settings with it.

Thanks again for the help!

when I try to send mail, I get the message: The server response was Client host rejected: Access denied.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.