Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone SE and iTunes

Currently using iphone SE on ios 11.2.6 with iTunes v12.6.2 on an iMac with OSX 10.10.5. I used to install and update all my apps in iTunes and then move to phone. Lately I can update apps in iTunes on the iMac but when I switch to the device view, the only app options are ‘remove’. Update no longer an option. I do still manage my iTunes music library and manually put new music on the iphone.

iTunes on the iMac shows that a newer version of the iPhone software is available (version 13.6) If I updated thru iTunes would i actually end up with v13.6? I had missed out on updating to a stable version of ios 12 or 13 as the first versions of those had known issues with battery time not lasting long. Now Apple/Verizon has managed to slow this phone down.

If I updated to ios13.6 would I at least be able to backup the phone with iTunes and manage my music? I know I probably need update to iTunes v12.8. The iMac cannot go past 10.12 with its current applications that I need.

iPhone SE, iOS 11

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2021 6:26 PM

Hey MikezZ1,

With regard to your questions in your first response, we'd recommend updating to Sierra and iTunes 12.8 on your Mac first. After updating your Mac, backup your iPhone, and if you wish then erase and update iOS on it.

As to the Books app, if you have pdfs or other formats directly stored on the device, those will be included in an iTunes backup. Purchases made from the Book Store but not downloaded (indicated by a cloud icon w/ a down arrow), will not back up but re-sync after signing into your Apple ID on your iPhone.

Regarding the link, check in Finder > Applications for the macOS Sierra Installer. If you see it, run it again. The process should take about 30 min to an hour to complete. If you do not, re-download the installer from the appropriate link in the article below, making sure to visit the link on the Mac you wish to update.

Should you have further questions beyond here, reach out to Apple Support directly for additional assistance:

Take care.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2021 6:26 PM in response to MikezZ1

Hey MikezZ1,

With regard to your questions in your first response, we'd recommend updating to Sierra and iTunes 12.8 on your Mac first. After updating your Mac, backup your iPhone, and if you wish then erase and update iOS on it.

As to the Books app, if you have pdfs or other formats directly stored on the device, those will be included in an iTunes backup. Purchases made from the Book Store but not downloaded (indicated by a cloud icon w/ a down arrow), will not back up but re-sync after signing into your Apple ID on your iPhone.

Regarding the link, check in Finder > Applications for the macOS Sierra Installer. If you see it, run it again. The process should take about 30 min to an hour to complete. If you do not, re-download the installer from the appropriate link in the article below, making sure to visit the link on the Mac you wish to update.

Should you have further questions beyond here, reach out to Apple Support directly for additional assistance:

Take care.

Jan 30, 2021 4:48 PM in response to MikezZ1

Hey MikezZ1,

As we understand it, you have an iPhone SE that you're manually managing your apps and music on. However you're now no longer able to update your apps via iTunes and instead can only remove them, is that correct?

If so, it is recommended to update apps on your iPhone itself via the App Store. In later versions of iTunes, the ability to update iOS apps via iTunes has been removed completely.

As to potentially updating your device, as iOS 13 is no longer the newest version of iOS and your iPhone SE can run iOS 14, updating the iPhone would update to the latest version of iOS 14. There is not an option to manually force the iPhone to update to iOS 13 instead.

If these are decisions you'd like to see tweaked, we'd recommend leaving feedback at the link below.

Take care.

Feb 14, 2021 9:48 AM in response to MikezZ1

Hi MikezZ1,

We can clarify further.

Given your Mac is itself running an outdated version of macOS, that may be why it is offering to update to an also outdated version of iOS. As your iPhone is eligible for iOS 14, an update will result in iOS 14 being installed.

As to your Mac, iOS 14 is compatible with macOS High Sierra. After updating, confirm that iTunes itself is also updated to its latest version (12.8). From there, the two devices would see each other properly.

Take care.

Feb 17, 2021 1:53 PM in response to MikezZ1

MikezZ1,

Regarding your first question, yes. You would be able to back up and restore an iPhone running iOS 14 to iTunes 12.8.

As to your music switching from one iPhone to another, if all or most of your music files are synced through iTunes that is expected. Music files would need to be re-synced when swapping from phone to phone. However, as this would be the same device, updating to a new OS version, those files stay intact.

As to Adobe CS5, from Adobe's support site regarding Photoshop, it does not appear that Creative Suite 5 was designed for compatibility with macOS High Sierra or later versions, and they instead recommend updating. For additional questions regarding specifics, we'd recommend contacting Adobe, however there does appear to be some expected compatibility issues.

Finally regarding older apps in general, macOS High Sierra is compatible with 32-bit apps, and in general, 32-bit apps can be expected to work on macOS High Sierra. However, you will see a compatibility alert and advise to contact the publisher of the app for a new 64-bit version.

See more details here:

Take care.

Feb 17, 2021 6:29 PM in response to MikezZ1

MikezZ1,

Provided you backup first, yes. You can erase your iPhone if you wish and then restore that backup after the update has completed. If there is not a backup, either in iCloud or iTunes that data would be permanently gone after erasing the phone.

And apologies, regarding Sierra, we'd still recommend reaching out to Adobe for confirmation as support for CS5 on either OS may be limited. We'd just recommend confirming.

If you do have any further questions from here regarding updating or your options, we'd recommend reaching out to Apple Support.

Cheers!

Feb 13, 2021 7:53 AM in response to KMB_12

So you are saying the when iTunes v12.6.2 on my imac says it will update to ios v13.6 it is incorrect and has a known bug for offering v13 to me in the first place?

If I do update my phone to v14 would I still be able to backup my phone on my iMac? I could update the iMac to 10.12 and iTunes 12.8 if necessary assuming I would not lose compatibility with my installed desktop applications.

Feb 15, 2021 5:32 AM in response to Brian_P7

Thanks for the update. So with IOS 14 and iTunes 12.8 i would be able to backup and restore both my apps and music on my phone? I might be better off wiping my phone and starting fresh. I seem to remember though when I upgraded from my 5s to the SE that I had to move the music manually which was a pain. I think I was able to restore the settings to the new phone. Also, I'm not sure that OSX 10.13 can run Adobe Creative Suite 5 though I had read that it works on OSX 10.12. I have programs on my 10.10 iMac that could not be installed fresh but continue to run because they were there from when it was new with 10.6.8. I know many installers won't run on later OS but a previous install installed program will run after OS update.

Feb 17, 2021 3:30 PM in response to jdo_apple

For my iphone, if I did a wipe and restore, I would end up with all of my apps and settings but in IOS 14?

I don't sync my music, selected albums and songs were originally put on in iTunes, most of which were ripped from CDs I own with a few purchased ones.

Regarding Creative Suite 5, my imac would be updated to 10.12 Sierra, not High Sierra as my work imac runs OSX 10.12.1 and iTunes 12.8 without any problems. They don't have Creative Suite 5 there but use CS 2015 on the extortion subscription so I don't know for sure about CS5 & 10.12 but judging from online messages people are using it successfully. I'm guessing I'll be safer with my older apps on 10.12 than 10.13 since iTunes 12.8 works on both.

Thanks for your help

PS I just installed my PC Adobe CS 5.5 and CS 6 on a new Windows 10 2H Laptop with no problems. The only thing I had to do was set the installer to Windows 7 compatibility and run as admin. Once installed they run great with no modifications. We could have even installed Office 2010 or 2007 if we wanted but chose the 2019 version and paid again for the new features. It was our choice to buy the latest version. Microsoft support site even shows how to install Office 1998 with screen shots of the process!

Feb 18, 2021 8:03 AM in response to cp from OH

Thanks.

So I will backup my phone with iTunes 12.6, do Time Machine backup on iMac before updating it to Sierra and iTunes 12.8. I could then erase and restore my phone with iTunes and have my settings and apps as before? I want to make sure I get the order correct. The Restore your iPhone from a computer backup directions mention in 'Select your Backup, if a message says your device's software is too old, learn what to do, go to Apps & Data screen on device and tap 'Don't Transfer Apps & Data' instead of Restore from Backup. This made we wonder what's correct for my situation. Do I need to backup my phone again in Sierra, iTunes 12.8 for this too work?

I noticed that the iBooks on the phone do not show up in iTunes. Are they part of the normal iPhone backup in iTunes?

Feb 20, 2021 11:29 AM in response to MikezZ1

Just tried this link from 'how to get older mac os' http://updates-http.cdn-apple.com/2019/cert/061-39476-20191023-48f365f4-0015-4c41-9f44-39d3d2aca067/InstallOS.dmg seemed to work when I downloaded it from firefox but the when the .pkg file opened saying it was checking to see if it could be installed, it seemed to be running scripts and when installation was complete (which only took a few minutes) I was still on Yosemite.

Tried the same link with Safari but after 5GB download was almost complete it disappeared with no listing in the 'show all downloads' panel. What's going on here? I upgraded a slightly newer iMac from Yosemite to Sierra a few months ago at work with no problem.

Thanks

Feb 21, 2021 8:07 AM in response to Eric--F

Now on Sierra 10.12.6, initial update went well. Adobe CS5 worked after Java 6 SE update opened itself in the browser. App store updates showed updates for printer, iTunes 12.8 and device sync update. Restarted after those updates then installed the Security Update 2019-005 which required restart, restarted when prompted and during reboot said installing...13 minutes remaining..., when in another room, a few minutes later heard a loud tone sound mac has never made, screen was black like it shut off, pressing button did nothing the first few times and then the normal startup chime and a long reboot. Had to sign into and configure iCloud account again. When finally back up Security update shows installed. Is this mac safe to use or should I revert back to Yosemite with Time Machine and try again?

iPhone SE and iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.