Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is App Cleaner by Nektony good for my Mac?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 4:11 PM

You should use the uninstaller provided by the developer of the app.

The only time you would need one is if you used an installer to get the app on your Mac.

If an app requires and installer, but doesn't provide any instructions or an uninstaller, I wouldn't install it in the first place.

10 replies

Jan 28, 2021 10:16 AM in response to johnd67

Can anyone tell me the best third party software or if Apple has the software to do a complete cleanup of the computer, removing temporary files, cleaning up the hard drive, cleaning up the memory and increasing performance and removing malware, spyware,trojans and other malicious software that can infect an OS?

Jan 29, 2021 3:45 AM in response to johnd67

I use their App Cleaner & Uninstaller for several years and I am absolutely satisfied with the quality of the app work.

The point is that when you just drag and drop the unneeded app to Trash a big amount of service files stay deep in your system. If there are a lot of such files, Mac eventually stops working well. This app does nothing more than just gather applications` service files and helps you to quickly remove them along with the executable. so I don't see anything wrong with this software.

Moreover, I can say that with this app my life has become much easier. When I just bought my Macbook I tried at first to manually search for service files or delete them using Terminal. But there was always a doubt that I can delete the necessary file for the Mac to work correctly. in a year of working with App Cleaner & Uninstaller, I have never removed anything superfluous. The plus is that there is an option to double-check all selected files before deleting them.

Jan 29, 2021 4:00 PM in response to Li_Oryna

The point is that when you just drag and drop the unneeded app to Trash a big amount of service files stay deep in your system.

You've certainly bought wholeheartedly into the FUD.

The only apps that will leave anything of particular impact are ones that have an installer. If you must use an installer, you would just use their installer to remove.

Regardless, nothing of particular impact is "deep in your system." The only locations you need to worry about are LaunchAgents, LaunchDaemons, and Extensions, all of which are in one or more of the Library folders. None of which are anywhere "deep" in the system.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.