Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPad will not Restore Data

I am upgrading from a 5th generation iPad to an 8th generation. Both devices have 128 BG storage. I am unable to restore any of my old data to the new device. I have tried all 3 methods: having both devices side by side (gets about within 1 minute of completion and receive a "Move device closer" error); restoring from iCloud (once again gets near completion and then says unable to restore); iTunes (device cannot be restored because it was disconnected).

I have performed multiple iCloud back-ups on different dates and have backed-up the old data via iTunes to my PC multiple times as well.

Both devices are operating on the same version iOS also.

Very frustrating . . .

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 10:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2021 8:58 AM

The better solution is always to use Quick Start. I understand that you have tried but please look at this discussion: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251446284

I would even go one step further than what the discussion suggests: reset the new iPad to factory settings before starting Quick Start.

5 replies

Jan 28, 2021 10:37 AM in response to Rocky_1213

Have you tried backing up the old device again and tried to use that backup? Are you restarting the new device and if necessary going into settings and erase the device again to start from scratch?

This may not have anything to do with your situation, but it happened to my daughter when trying to set up a new iPad from her iPhone backup. It would not move forward until she finally greed to 2 factor authentication. Are you using 2FA?

New iPad will not Restore Data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.