Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad Frozen on White screen with black apple logo

My ipad is frozen on the white screen with black apple logo.

Have tried re-setting but it keeps coming back to this screen.

Thank you

iPad (5th gen) Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 1:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 3:14 PM

This is clearly the best option to update, as you can then keep your data. Good solution. If it works with an update it's just perfect. If it still only shows white screen with Apple logo, then you can try a restore.

Yes, it downloads software to the iPad, it takes up a few gigabytes, so it may take some time. You can always write here again if you have more questions and I cross my fingers that an update was successful.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2021 3:14 PM in response to Alley Regan

This is clearly the best option to update, as you can then keep your data. Good solution. If it works with an update it's just perfect. If it still only shows white screen with Apple logo, then you can try a restore.

Yes, it downloads software to the iPad, it takes up a few gigabytes, so it may take some time. You can always write here again if you have more questions and I cross my fingers that an update was successful.

Jan 28, 2021 2:05 PM in response to Alley Regan

Connect it to the computer while it is turned on. Hold down the Home and Power Buttons at the same time when the screen goes black, or when the Apple logo disappears immediately RELEASE Power button and keep hold down the home button - until you see the computer and cable icon, or as it is called - Enter Recovery Mode.

This is the screen you want to see:

Jan 28, 2021 1:54 PM in response to Alley Regan

Okay, so a force restart is not the solution. Have you tried connecting it to a computer?

If it does not come to life, then it must be restored. You will lose everything on it, but you will not lose everything you have on iCloud. If you have an iCloud Backup then you can also restore from it after.

To do a restore:

1) Turn off your iPad completely.

2) Connect your iPad to a PC / Mac (If you use a PC then download iTunes) As soon as your iPad is connected, hold down the Home Button, keep holding it down until a computer and a cable icon appears.

3) Select Restore on your computer and wait.

After a short time, it is restored to the factory settings, and you can log in with your Apple ID, and restore from an iCloud Backup, If you have saved one.

Jan 28, 2021 2:21 PM in response to Alley Regan

Plug your charger cable into the computer and plug the other end into your iPad.

Now hold down the Home Button and Power Button when the screen turns off and the Apple logo disappears, release the Power button but keep holding down the Home Button - until you see the black screen with computer and cable icon.

Jan 28, 2021 2:46 PM in response to Alley Regan

Okay. Can you turn it off normally now, by holding down the Home button and sliding?

If not, try holding down the home and power buttons again. When the screen turns off, release power button, keep hold home button..

Sorry for the long response times, but I get limited by posting limits rule.

Jan 28, 2021 2:56 PM in response to Alley Regan

No problem, I'm at work, so time has to go with something sensible 😊

Okay - the iPad should be turned off completely.

When the iPad is off. Then connect it to your PC or Mac. The moment you plug in your iPad, press and hold the home button until it goes into Recovery Mode.

IF you can not turn it off again. Then, WHILE your iPad is connected to the computer, hold down the Power Button and the Home Button at the same time. When the screen goes out, release the power button BUT KEEP holding Home Button until it goes into Recovery Mode. You can try as many times as you want. But it is important you release the Power button as soon as the screen goes out.

Remember, do all this while your iPad is connected to the computer.

Jan 28, 2021 3:09 PM in response to Alley Regan

Had just found a video where it was demonstrated, but you managed it. Perfect! 😅

Now it should appear in iTunes and you should have the option to press Restore?

Remember, it restores the entire iPad to factory settings. But that seems to be the only option.

Ipad Frozen on White screen with black apple logo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.