Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to stream video from my personal library with AppleTV 4K using tvOS14.3

When I updated to tvOS14.3 on my AppleTV 4K box (via auto install) I could no longer steam movies from my personal movie library. My movies and TV Shows are installed on a RAID 1 drive linked by the TV app. I am running MacOS 10.15.7. I got may strange visual problems such as black screen, spinning wheel followed by black screen, spinning wheel followed by a timeline bar that doesn't progress, a timeline bar with a blank box at zero, a timeline bar followed by blank screen. A few videos actually did play but my remote was useless because I could not pause the movie. The Menu button would allow me to get back to the main screen but I was unable to get back to the movie to start it again.

As for streaming 4K content from my purchased videos from Apple, no problem. I installed a 4th gen Apple box running tvOS14.2 and was able to stream my library. In fact I am able to steam videos from my personal TVShows library, Amazon Prime, Apple Movies via my 4K box. I have tried all sorts of troubleshooting and did find that I can stream a movie from my personal library to my 4K box if I start the movie from my iMac but again I cannot control it with my remote.

I can't help wonder if installing Big Sur would resolve the streaming issue with iOS14.3. I have total success streaming my personal library with Catalina and tvOS14.2 via my 4th and 5th gen boxes. My problem suggests a software problem but what? Would installing Big Sur and 14.3 be the solution?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 14

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 11:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 6:09 PM

Well I too a big leap and installed Big Sur v11.2. When I check the content of my library (Computers/Movies) there were exactly 6 movies listed (out of 2224). I tested those movies and they would play. I was able to get my entire library back by dragging my RAID library into the TV app. (Isn't anything easy.). The result is my library movies now play with Big Sur and tvOS14.4 whereas Catalina and tvOS14.4 they wouldn't. Lesson learned - update everything.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2021 6:09 PM in response to chuck_3rd

Well I too a big leap and installed Big Sur v11.2. When I check the content of my library (Computers/Movies) there were exactly 6 movies listed (out of 2224). I tested those movies and they would play. I was able to get my entire library back by dragging my RAID library into the TV app. (Isn't anything easy.). The result is my library movies now play with Big Sur and tvOS14.4 whereas Catalina and tvOS14.4 they wouldn't. Lesson learned - update everything.

Feb 1, 2021 8:24 AM in response to Tom Kirsch

Hi there Tom,

We understand you're running into some issues streaming your personal library of movies to your Apple TV 4K.

The following page offers guidance that should help you access content from another device on the network, and control it using the remote for your Apple TV: Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices

We hope this helps!

Feb 1, 2021 6:13 PM in response to Tom Kirsch

Thanks for getting back to us Tom,

If you haven't yet tried Home Sharing, that may offer another way of accessing your movies on Apple TV.

If you're using AirPlay, you can find guidance, including the requirements for using AirPlay here: Use AirPlay to stream video or mirror your device’s screen

Should you need further assistance after verifying that you meet the requirements, contact Apple Support for additional assistance.

Take care!

Feb 1, 2021 4:31 PM in response to ryane77

My problem as I described should not have suggested this is a Home Sharing problem. I was able to stream a lot of content from my personal library just not my movies (of which I have over 2000). I also stated that if a movie did start I could not control it with the remote. I am able to verify I can stream from my Apple4K box running tvOS14.2 all movies from my iMac's personal library running MacOSX10.15.7. When I upgraded to tvOS14.3 I could no longer stream my movies but could stream other content such as tv shows and music. So what gives? Does Big Sur reconfigure movies in the TV.app thus requiring tvOS14.3?

Does anyone running Big Sur and tvOS14.3 (now tvOS14.4) have a problem streaming their library movies?

unable to stream video from my personal library with AppleTV 4K using tvOS14.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.