Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Military CAC somehow link to local Mac Admin account

I recently had to start using my military CAC from home on my MacPro Late 2013 model running BigSur 11.1. Everything with the CAC is working fine, accessing web based resources, etc. My problem is somehow my military CAC has become linked to the local admin account of my Mac. For example if I restart the machine at log in it asks for my Pin not my Password. Any time admin access is required, it asks for my Pin not the Password.

How do I de-link my CAC from my local admin account. I've seen some Apple Support articles on running sudo scripts, but wanted to see if there was an easier way and ideally less likely to screw something up way to make this happen.

Appreciate any assistance the community can provide.

Mac Pro, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 29, 2021 6:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2021 4:14 PM

When you attached it, it asked if you wanted to "Pair" it. That is what caused what you are seeing.

See the unpair command in this article: Advanced smart card options - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

Military CAC somehow link to local Mac Admin account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.