Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I transfer purchased songs to an older mac that no longer supports newest iTunes ( Music )?

I have an old Mac Pro Tower that does not work with the newest version of I Tunes Music ( I know that it’s not called ITunes anymore ), though I continue to buy music on the Apple site, which shows up on my IPhone and my Mac Mini ( running Catalina ). My question is, can I transfer the purchased music to the old Mac Pro ( which is where I mostly listen, as it’s in my studio ). I have a external drive that I could load music onto, then hook it to the Mac Pro.

Can anyone help with this question?

Also, some music I purchased from Apple long ago, is not available to me now because I had a different password for my Apple ID then. How can I get access to that music again?

Mac Pro

Posted on Jan 29, 2021 9:52 AM

11 replies

Jan 29, 2021 10:42 AM in response to mrhoggie

Purchases from the iTunes Store since about 2010 have been free of DRM. You should be able to copy recent music downloads to any other computer, either over a network or by way on a portable drive. That said if you're running El Capitan through High Sierra you can install iTunes 12.8.2.3 and access your purchase history directly.

If you're using the same Apple ID then changing the password shouldn't affect access to past purchases. See Hide and unhide music, movies, TV shows, audiobooks, and books - Apple Support in case some older items have been hidden. Note the ability to redownload past purchases is dependent upon continued availability in the store. It is possible that some of the items you can no longer access have been removed by their rights holders. There isn't any solution to this unless you can locate an old backup or device that includes those tracks.

tt2

Can I transfer purchased songs to an older mac that no longer supports newest iTunes ( Music )?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.