Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB-C Hub drains battery? Macbook Air M1

Hello, Ive just got a new macbook air m1, its the first time im using a mac in my life and i really dont know much about it.

Ive got a usb c hub to connect to my monitor through hdmi, keyboard and mouse through usb A and ethernet as well.

The thing is, since ive got the mac I have been setting it up and discovering everything it has got to offer, the battery was hardly discharging. I even installed an update.

But as soon as ive plugged in the hub ive noticed the battery is draining faster, even when the computer is sleeping.

Is this normal? Is there any way i could check?

Thanks in advance for any help!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 29, 2021 1:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2021 9:34 AM

Hey all, I experienced the same problem as described. I was talking to Apple Support and they replaced my MacBook Pro M1. After receiving my new MacBook I noticed that the problem still exists. It would be interesting to see, if anyone experienced the same issue with the Belkin USB C Hub (USB C Hub from Apple Store) ?

I am using one from a third party, ordered from Amazon (Cable Creation USB C Hub Multiport Adapter).

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2021 9:34 AM in response to FedeNavone

Hey all, I experienced the same problem as described. I was talking to Apple Support and they replaced my MacBook Pro M1. After receiving my new MacBook I noticed that the problem still exists. It would be interesting to see, if anyone experienced the same issue with the Belkin USB C Hub (USB C Hub from Apple Store) ?

I am using one from a third party, ordered from Amazon (Cable Creation USB C Hub Multiport Adapter).

Mar 7, 2021 8:24 PM in response to SeaPapp

Hey! Thanks for your answer. I don't meant to be disrespectful but this doesn't really answer my question and apple has marked it as useful.

The update was meant to solve a problem where different usb-c hubs would kill the machine.

The problem that me and some others are having, is that the act of using the usb-c hub would make the battery drain significantly faster than when not connected to the usb-c hub.

It has nothing to do with what the update was meant to fix.

Thank you again anyways for your answer!

Jun 15, 2021 2:24 AM in response to FedeNavone

Hola. Same issue with Anker 7 in 1 USB C hub. First disappointment was that it draws about 12w from the charger so Air only has 18w of usable power at which point it says that it isn't charging (even though it does, but slowly). Wish that was mentioned before by Anker, I mean it is a good selling point tbh for you to purchase an a more powerful adapter.

So to avoid slow charging, I was connecting the hub separately from the charger. When leaving the hub connected to the Air and shutting everything down it is still a little warm to the touch, meaning it continues drawing power.

Feb 27, 2021 2:06 AM in response to FedeNavone

Hey I experience the same thing, I've even recorded a log of how the battery is drained with and without the USB-hub, check it out:

93% 12:54 (With hub)

90% 13:06

83% 1:30

73% 14:16

68% 14:32 (Without hub)

65% 14:57

64% 15:05

62% 15:20

61% 15:27

59% 15:42

57% 15:57

56% 16:08 (With hub).

55% 16:12

54% 16:15

53% 16:18

52% 16:22

51% 16:25

50% 16:29 (Without a hub)

49% 16:36  

48% 16:44

47% 16:50

46% 16:56

As you can see from this log, when a hub is connected to the device, 1% battery life only lasts you 3-4 minutes, whereas without the hub, 1% lasts you approximately 7.5 minutes, which is almost double the amount.

I'm using Ugreen 9 in 1 hub.

Feb 27, 2021 3:51 AM in response to SeaPapp

macOS Big Sur 11.2.1 addresses an issue that may prevent the battery from charging in some 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pro models.

Is it what you meant?

Or maybe this? macOS Big Sur 11.2.2 prevents MacBook Pro (2019 or later) and MacBook Air (2020 or later) models from incurring damage when they are connected to certain third-party, non-compliant powered USB-C hubs and docks.

Feb 27, 2021 4:11 AM in response to FedeNavone

Are you using a "pass through" powered hub that you connect

your charger to and then to your MacBook Air?

If so, the 30 watt power brick that came with your MacBook Air

is too weak to both power a hub and all its peripherals and you

MacBook Air. One thing none of these hubs specify is how much

power they "steal" from the charger before delivering it to the computer.

Mar 8, 2021 4:44 AM in response to FedeNavone

FedeNavone wrote:

I understand this. In my scenario the MacBook is not connected to the power supply, it's using power from the battery, thats how I know that its draining faster than when disconnected.

Thanks!

Of course it is because the hub has to draw its power from somewhere

to work so it is drawing it from your MacBook Air. How much a hub will

draw depends on the manufacturer and what manner of components

are being used in the hub or attached to it.

Apr 9, 2021 10:59 PM in response to Community User

I also have a MacBook air m1 with similar issue.

But a little different. The problem is even when the Macbook air is shutdown, a connected USB-C HDMI adapter connected to a monitor will continue to draw battery power even the monitor is powered off. I normally has a type-c charger connected also to the adapter.

This is annoying as it drain my battery power overnight even though I didn't use it. And it means at least one more charging cycle per day.

May 9, 2021 5:42 PM in response to Community User

I bought a Vention 5 in 1 adapter and I have encountered a similar issue. At sleep mode from 23:30 to 7:30, the adapter drained 9% of my MBP M1 battery. I wonder if this is a common problem among adapters (battery draining) or if expensive Apple adapters are exempt from this issue at all. Hope someone with Apple adapter can help me to testify.

May 9, 2021 5:59 PM in response to FedeNavone

I bought a Vention 5 in 1 adapter and I have encountered a similar issue. At sleep mode from 23:30 to 7:30, the adapter drained 9% of my MBP M1 battery. I wonder if this is a common problem among adapters (battery draining) or if expensive Apple adapters are exempt from this issue at all. Hope someone with Apple adapter can help me to testify.

Jul 17, 2021 9:19 PM in response to Gagulya012

yes, i thought i'm the crazy one here

i just experienced it yesterday, usually full charged macbook will last me almost 2 days of usage

but i used 100% from 3 PM to 10-11PM, it only lasted me around 38%

usually the remaining power will be like more than that

and i only watch youtube and do some light browsing

then i realized i plugged in my anker usb hub, and thought maybe it is the problem

and i only connected 1 wireless mouse

i better get the new bluetooth mouse then

and hopefully apple fix this soon

USB-C Hub drains battery? Macbook Air M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.