Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple wireless mouse and keyboard will only connect after logging in with USB mouse and keyboard

I have a late-2014, 27" iMac running Big Sur. I recently restarted my computer and noticed that the wireless mouse and keyboard (both apple products) no longer worked. I was able to power down and then boot into a Recovery mode in which both worked just fine. Then when I restarted I was presented with the same problem.

I purchased a USB mouse and keyboard and plugged them in. When I start the computer, the USB peripherals work fine and allow me to login. Once I'm fully logged in the wireless mouse and keyboard work again.

I tried deleting and repairing the wireless mouse and keyboard. I tried deleting the plist files. I tried Resetting the Bluetooth Module.

Has anyone seen this problem before?

Thanks!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 29, 2021 5:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2021 5:43 PM

Have you taken these steps, please follow them to the letter!!!!!

The following will require any USB keyboard and mouse. If you don’t have them, borrow or buy them, they are inexpensive!

1.     Connect the USB keyboard and mouse to the computer.

2.     Open System Preferences – Bluetooth

3.     Un-pair the wireless keyboard and mouse.

4.     Turn off Bluetooth

5.     Restart the computer in Safe Mode per the directions in https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

6.     Restart the computer normally.

7.     Open System Preferences – Bluetooth

8.     Turn on Bluetooth

9.     Re-Pair the wireless keyboard and mouse.

10.  Unplug the USB keyboard and mouse and begin testing the wireless devices again. 

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2021 5:43 PM in response to network2

Have you taken these steps, please follow them to the letter!!!!!

The following will require any USB keyboard and mouse. If you don’t have them, borrow or buy them, they are inexpensive!

1.     Connect the USB keyboard and mouse to the computer.

2.     Open System Preferences – Bluetooth

3.     Un-pair the wireless keyboard and mouse.

4.     Turn off Bluetooth

5.     Restart the computer in Safe Mode per the directions in https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

6.     Restart the computer normally.

7.     Open System Preferences – Bluetooth

8.     Turn on Bluetooth

9.     Re-Pair the wireless keyboard and mouse.

10.  Unplug the USB keyboard and mouse and begin testing the wireless devices again. 

Apple wireless mouse and keyboard will only connect after logging in with USB mouse and keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.