Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 MacBook Pro slow at taking screenshots, screen snips and screen recordings.

When I press CMD + Shift + 3, it takes 3 seconds for the screenshot to be captured. When I press CMD + Shift + 4 it takes 3-5 seconds for the cursor to appear so I can select a portion of my screen. When I press CMD + Shift + 5 it takes 3 seconds for the selected area to show so I can take a screen recording. This is ridiculous. On my older mac it is instant but on my new M1 MBP it is so slow. Now, I have tested this on another M1 MBP and it is instant.

Does anyone know why my M1 MBP is slow at responding? (I have turned off "Show Floating Thumbnail" and it does not work)

Posted on Jan 29, 2021 5:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 5:02 PM

MyTech1583 wrote:
—When I start my MacBook Pro into safe mode the problem persists.
— created a new user and tested; the screenshot/screen recording/screen snip is instant and the mac seems a lot faster

Hi leroydouglas,
When I entered safe boot, after typing in the password for the second time (because touch-id was not allowed) I was straight back into macOS, not the safe boot. When I restarted it said safe boot in red in the menu bar but once I type in my password it vanished. Is this normal?

Also, if I was in safe boot, the problem was still there.

Yep, that sound like the normal safe boot seeing red up in the corner— and logging in to test.

What we have learned so far it is isolated to your admin account , third party extension KEXT not loaded in Safeboot but the issue persist. Compared to you new user account —"instant and faster"—which I assume means no issue.

I am no expert on on Erasing/ Reinstall the macOS on the M1. I believe there are some complications, and without further insight ...I would be remiss to send you down that path without further counsel.

It may be possible to simply reinstall the macOS on top of your existing macOS and avoid this bigger issue of erasing.

The reinstalling on top is known to sort anomalies.

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

I would contact Apple Support, escalate the issue— give them your report on these trouble shooting techniques you have preformed. The first person on the phone is probably not the person to help you.

Call Customer Support  (800) MYAPPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line  https://getsupport.apple.com/

or call  AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Alternatively you can create a new Admin/user account, and allow sharing between accounts a move your data over to the new account as needed. Set up file sharing on Mac - Apple Support Testing along the way.

ref: About system extensions and macOS - Apple Support

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2021 5:02 PM in response to MyTech1583

MyTech1583 wrote:
—When I start my MacBook Pro into safe mode the problem persists.
— created a new user and tested; the screenshot/screen recording/screen snip is instant and the mac seems a lot faster

Hi leroydouglas,
When I entered safe boot, after typing in the password for the second time (because touch-id was not allowed) I was straight back into macOS, not the safe boot. When I restarted it said safe boot in red in the menu bar but once I type in my password it vanished. Is this normal?

Yep, that sound like the normal safe boot seeing red up in the corner— and logging in to test.

What we have learned so far it is isolated to your admin account , third party extension KEXT not loaded in Safeboot but the issue persist. Compared to you new user account —"instant and faster"—which I assume means no issue.

I am no expert on on Erasing/ Reinstall the macOS on the M1. I believe there are some complications, and without further insight ...I would be remiss to send you down that path without further counsel.

It may be possible to simply reinstall the macOS on top of your existing macOS and avoid this bigger issue of erasing.

The reinstalling on top is known to sort anomalies.

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

I would contact Apple Support, escalate the issue— give them your report on these trouble shooting techniques you have preformed. The first person on the phone is probably not the person to help you.

Call Customer Support  (800) MYAPPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line  https://getsupport.apple.com/

or call  AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Alternatively you can create a new Admin/user account, and allow sharing between accounts a move your data over to the new account as needed. Set up file sharing on Mac - Apple Support Testing along the way.

ref: About system extensions and macOS - Apple Support

Feb 2, 2021 5:43 PM in response to MyTech1583

MyTech1583 wrote:

When I press CMD + Shift + 3, it takes 3 seconds for the screenshot to be captured. When I press CMD + Shift + 4 it takes 3-5 seconds for the cursor to appear so I can select a portion of my screen. When I press CMD + Shift + 5 it takes 3 seconds for the selected area to show so I can take a screen recording. This is ridiculous. On my older mac it is instant but on my new M1 MBP it is so slow. Now, I have tested this on another M1 MBP and it is instant.

Does anyone know why my M1 MBP is slow at responding? (I have turned off "Show Floating Thumbnail" and it does not work)

If you open the screen shot app—Shift Command 5>Options> Here you can make changes to speed thing up. esp disable the Floating thumb nail...

Take screenshots or screen recordings on Mac - Apple Support

Feb 1, 2021 2:00 PM in response to MyTech1583

Hey there MyTech1583,

We understand you're noticing slow performance on your new MacBook Pro when taking screenshots, and we'd like to see if we can assist.

First, check to make sure your Mac has adequate storage space available: How to free up storage space on your Mac

Also, ensure all of the apps are updated on your Mac: Update apps or use automatic downloads

Finally, ry starting your MacBook Pro in safe mode to see if the issue persists there: How to use safe mode on your Mac

Cheers!

Feb 3, 2021 4:33 PM in response to MyTech1583

MyTech1583 wrote:

<Report.log>

The report is above as you showed me how to do it.

Hmmm. I see 4 printed lines in your report as posted (?) Try again.

I would expect to see some 239 printed lines in the etrecheck report.

reference this how to:

Allan Jones: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251612693?answerId=253109993022#253109993022

Feb 3, 2021 9:25 PM in response to MyTech1583

MyTech1583 wrote:

<Report.log>
Diagnostics Information (past 7-30 days):
2021-02-04 09:44:43 Core Sync.app Crash (26 times)
Executable: /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Sync/*/Core Sync.app

2021-02-04 03:21:52 signpost_reporter High CPU Use (2 times)
Executable: /usr/libexec/signpost_reporter

2021-02-04 03:20:54 syspolicyd High CPU Use
Executable: /usr/libexec/syspolicyd

2021-02-03 23:46:22 CVMServer Crash (6 times)
Executable: /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/CVMServer
Details:
dyld3 mode

2021-02-02 23:41:25 PyCharm CE.app Crash
Executable: /Applications/PyCharm CE.app

2021-01-31 23:48:37 KnightTouchBar2000.app Crash
Executable: /Volumes/VOLUME/*/KnightTouchBar2000.app

2021-01-31 15:10:54 ControlStrip.app Crash
Executable: /System/Library/CoreServices/ControlStrip.app
Details:
dyld3 mode
Crashing on exception: Invalid parameter not satisfying: !isnan(newOri
gin.x)

Core Sync.app Crash ?

KnightTouchBar2000.app ?

-------------------------------------

TouchBrickout

A large number of app crashes I find a little concerning, but I can not quite put my finger on the issue here.

A screenshot delay issue...

It was recommended above, and I would suggest—

To trouble shoot further:

—Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache,  etc. 

Login and test. Reboot  as normal and test as caches get rebuilt.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a  reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode. 

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204443

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Feb 2, 2021 6:37 PM in response to MyTech1583

MyTech1583 wrote:

Hey leroydouglas,
Thanks for replying!

I have tried to do that already...
The problem isn't with taking the screenshot/screen recoding/screen snip, the problem is once the key combinations are pressed it takes 3-4 seconds for the options to show up. This doesn't sound like a big problem which it isn't, but it is annoying when I am trying to take a screen snip of something "fast moving."

Uninstall any and all third party Antivirus, Cleaners, Optimizers, VPN, speeder uppers....

To get a good look at your System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com  

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

Feb 2, 2021 5:36 PM in response to barberlives123

Hi barberlives123,

Thanks for replying!

My mac has 900GB of storage available and all the apps are up to date. When I start my MacBook Pro into safe mode the problem persists. I was told by Apple support to Factory Reset my mac... That was a bad idea as the new macs (M1) get bricked. Once I got the mac back up and running the problem is still there. But... the screenshot is now working fine and the screen recording. It is just the main one I use which is screen snip.]

Have any ideas on my this is happing?

Feb 2, 2021 6:01 PM in response to leroydouglas

Hey leroydouglas,

Thanks for replying!

I have tried to do that already...

The problem isn't with taking the screenshot/screen recoding/screen snip, the problem is once the key combinations are pressed it takes 3-4 seconds for the options to show up. This doesn't sound like a big problem which it isn't, but it is annoying when I am trying to take a screen snip of something "fast moving."

Feb 4, 2021 3:03 AM in response to MyTech1583

MyTech1583 wrote:

Hi leroydouglas,

I have created a new user and tested... The screenshot/screen recording/screen snip is instant and the mac seems a lot faster. I have no idea how I can fix this issue attached to my user... Do you have any suggestions?

That is some insight...

Tell me about your Safe Boot results MyTech1583 —

Feb 5, 2021 4:29 PM in response to leroydouglas

Hi leroydouglas,

Feb 5, 2021 5:05 PM in response to leroydouglas

Hey leroydouglas,

Thanks for all that, it is really helpful.

On the topic of factory resetting, I called Apple support about this about 1 week ago and I was told to factory reset. Factory resetting an M1 Mac bricks them. To install macOS on the bricked M1 mac is nearly impossible without another mac using Apple Configurator 2. I was lucky and my mac was restored but I have heard, others are not so lucky.

So, my only choice is to create a new admin account and transfer everything over. I guess I could also create a new admin user and delete my original user account.

Anyway, I thank you so much for all the help you have provided.

Feb 15, 2021 9:42 PM in response to leroydouglas

Found some solution from reddit as posted by user `ThisIsMyMainAccount7`.

ThisIsMyMainAccount7 wrote:

Followup from my last comment - I figured out this only occurs when the video record is set to capture the microphone (even when only using the tool to take a screenshot).

Steps to "fix" this (at least before Apple implements a proper fix):
1. Cmd+Shift+5
2. Change to one of the video modes
3. Options -> Set Microphone to 'None'
4. Change back to one of the screenshot modes

M1 MacBook Pro slow at taking screenshots, screen snips and screen recordings.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.