Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Health App Understates Walking Distance

My wife's iPhone 11 is greatly understating the distance we cover when we walk together according to her Health app. I have a new iPhone 12, which seems to be dead accurate when compared with a measurement on Google Maps. For example, on a walk this morning her Health app showed 3.1km, whereas mine showed 3.83km. Google Maps says the distance was 3.86km. My wife's phone is therefore giving a huge error and does so every time we walk. Why is this? I noticed this problem was last reported in 2017 but no mention has been made of it since.

Brian Smale

iPhone 11

Posted on Jan 30, 2021 5:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2021 2:45 AM

Thanks for your reply, Brian. My wife does not have an Apple Watch, so your calibration suggestion would not help with her iPhone problem. I have already sent in a bug report via Apple's product feedback facility, from which I will never receive a reply, of course. I guess my next step is to set up a chat and see if the support person has any ideas. It seems bizarre to me - either the GPS works or it doesn't. Why would it work inaccurately? If it's a hardware fault, maybe the phone should be replaced.

Brian smale

Similar questions

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2021 2:45 AM in response to Brian_P7

Thanks for your reply, Brian. My wife does not have an Apple Watch, so your calibration suggestion would not help with her iPhone problem. I have already sent in a bug report via Apple's product feedback facility, from which I will never receive a reply, of course. I guess my next step is to set up a chat and see if the support person has any ideas. It seems bizarre to me - either the GPS works or it doesn't. Why would it work inaccurately? If it's a hardware fault, maybe the phone should be replaced.

Brian smale

Feb 3, 2021 4:24 AM in response to LD150

I'm not a user of social media (a crime against humanity!) so that won't be a problem. In any case, the GPS should not care where my phone is as it's only recording my position in relation to the satellites and has nothing to do with how I move or carry my phone. If I were to use Maps in my car as a route guider, for example, the phone would be stationary on the passenger seat.

Brian

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Feb 1, 2021 4:37 PM in response to Brian Smale

Hi Brian Smale,

It appears that your wife's iPhone 11 is recording a different distance for a walk as compared to your iPhone 12 when going the route. Making sure that your fitness is recorded properly is essential for tracking and meeting any personal goals you have set. We're glad you reached out for help.

Take a look at the steps below for suggestions to improve the accuracy of your Workout.

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy

For additional help with the results on her iPhone reach out to Apple Support here: Get Support

We hope this helps. Have a good day!

Feb 2, 2021 6:48 AM in response to Brian Smale

Brian Smale,

Thank you for following up and providing the additional information about your wife's iPhone. Does she experience any issues when using the Maps app when routing to a destination? Using the resource below make sure that the health information for your wife is updated on her iPhone.

Use the Health app on your iPhone or iPod touch

While checking the accuracy of the location services and GPS check out the link here:

About privacy and Location Services in iOS and iPadOS

We would recommend following up with Apple Support with this link: Get Support

Take care!

Feb 3, 2021 1:52 AM in response to Brian Smale

Just out of interest I turned on my Walking and Running in Health to compare with Strava and it was quite close. I have run with this phone for 10 months so presumably it has self calibrated.

Images below.

The Strava mileage is not added to the Health mileage which I had feared.

Just to ram home the non-gps point, I just “ran” 100 metres by waving the phone up and down.

Feb 2, 2021 9:26 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Thanks for your reply, Joseph. I used my wife's Maps app to define a route to a city about 600 miles away, as well as some much closer places. In every case, the calculated distance was the same as on my own iPhone. I guess you now ant us to drive somewhere and see what happens. This is not easy at the moment as we can't go anywhere under UK COVID lockdown rules.

With her consent, I've looked at my wife's health data in her Health app and can see nothing amiss. She has not provided all information, but there is nothing missing that could affect distance measurement. One strange thing is that under Settings/Privacy/Health/APPS, no apps are listed. Why is this? On my own iPhone the listed apps are Clock, Health and Outdooractive (a hiking app). This is an odd list. Why Clock and not Maps? Why is Health listed within its own app - very strange.

I must admit the whole thing seems quite convoluted and I'm not at all sure I can make sense of any of it.

Brian Smale

Feb 2, 2021 9:39 AM in response to Brian Smale

Brian Smale wrote:

I have already sent in a bug report via Apple's product feedback facility, from which I will never receive a reply, of course.

The feedback page is for submitting feedback. It is not designed for providing you with support on an issue. It's quite explicit that you won't receive a reply. If you want to further discuss the matter with support, you can use the Contact Support link at the top right of every page of these forums as Joseph recommended.

Feb 2, 2021 9:41 AM in response to Brian Smale

Brian Smale wrote:

With her consent, I've looked at my wife's health data in her Health app and can see nothing amiss. She has not provided all information, but there is nothing missing that could affect distance measurement. One strange thing is that under Settings/Privacy/Health/APPS, no apps are listed. Why is this? On my own iPhone the listed apps are Clock, Health and Outdooractive (a hiking app). This is an odd list. Why Clock and not Maps? Why is Health listed within its own app - very strange.

You might have your wife try resetting all settings. Settings>General>Reset>Reset All Settings. I don't know that it will work and, yes, it's annoying to have to reset custom ringtones, backgrounds, etc. However, it sometimes resolves weird issues like this.

Feb 2, 2021 9:50 AM in response to LD150

Hi LD150, do I understand you correctly? Are you saying that the distance measured on a walk is step length multpied by number of steps? Why would the distance not be as directly measured by Maps and its GPS facility? Given that the distance given by the Health app my own iPhone exactly matches a Google Maps measurement, even though I have not calibrated anything, I assumed that the distance indeed comes from Maps and not a step count.

Brian Smale

Feb 2, 2021 11:51 AM in response to Brian Smale

If you work through the health app location settings the explanation is it uses gps location “for example to find hospital locations near you”

I always understood the calibration process to link accelerometer step counting to walked distance happens in background by sampling and does not need your intervention. Therefore it will gradually improve step length calibration. To say it “uses gps” in health app is a slight exaggeration in my view.

Try Strava free app just for fun/comparison

Feb 2, 2021 1:28 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I have been using Strava for running for 5 years on Samsung and iPhone.

Strava as standalone app gets its mapping info direct from gps.

Using my Polar watch Strava gets its info from PolarFlow app.

Health app also gets its running activity data from PolarFlow.

Health app, the way I use it, gives out nada. It just draws data in.

Now if I had Apple Watch the Fitness app as opposed to Health app may be more powerful at pushing out data.

Feb 3, 2021 2:42 AM in response to LD150

I've looked through the capabilities of Apple Maps and it's not possible to use the app to track/measure the distance of a walk, so I can't test the accuracy of the GPS directly, as some have suggested. However, both my wife's phone and mine have walking/hiking apps that can measure distance, so when the rotten rain here stops I'll take both phones for a walk and see how the recorded distances compare. More later.

Brian Smale

Feb 3, 2021 3:59 AM in response to Brian Smale

Sounds like you have a similar type walking app to mine so the comparison will be interesting.

Remember the phone needs to recognise walking via a typical movement in the pocket or waist bag. I am not suggesting that either of you are doing this but checking social media while walking may damp out the movement and could underestimate the distance.

Talk soon.

Health App Understates Walking Distance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.