Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Solved: Epson Perfection 2450 wouldn't scan after Big Sur - "failed to open a connection to the device (-21345)

When I upgraded to Big Sur, my Epson Perfection 2450 stopped working. Every time I opened Image Capture, it would find the scanner (showed up in the interface) and try to preview, but then throw an error: "failed to open a connection to the device (-21345)"

From other posters on this forum, I tried re-setting the PRAM, but that didn't work.

The solution was to go into settings>printers and scanners, click "+" and just add the scanner. I don't think I had to do that pre-Big Sur - the system seemed to just know that the scanner was there. After upgrading to Big Sur, it stopped working, but going to the settings panel and adding the scanner there fixed the problem.

Posted on Jan 30, 2021 8:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2021 8:34 AM

As it turns out, the paid, 64-bit VueScan Professional can drive this scanner without any Epson software or drivers. You can trial the VueScan software, and it would be interesting if it drove your scanner without any of your current issues.

Epson has issued a Jan 5, 2021 Image Capture (ICA) driver for this device to provide Big Sur support. This could be a working alternative to paying for VueScan.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2021 8:34 AM in response to aneaman

As it turns out, the paid, 64-bit VueScan Professional can drive this scanner without any Epson software or drivers. You can trial the VueScan software, and it would be interesting if it drove your scanner without any of your current issues.

Epson has issued a Jan 5, 2021 Image Capture (ICA) driver for this device to provide Big Sur support. This could be a working alternative to paying for VueScan.

Solved: Epson Perfection 2450 wouldn't scan after Big Sur - "failed to open a connection to the device (-21345)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.